Can crushers are vital for crushing empty, half/full, off-date products aluminum or steel cans for easier recycling. They were invented with the sole purpose of reducing waste materials and also severely decreasing the expense of transportation of waste. Fortunately, just like glass bottles, aluminum cans can be recycled repeatedly making them a super important item to recycle regularly bringing in cash if you ought to take them to recycle centers frequently. Whether an outsourced company collects your every day can waste or you have a business that deposits its own at recycling centers, a can crusher means fewer collections/deposits required, saving valuable money and time. So, if you are looking to purchase one, you have arrived at the right place.
We have scoured the internet to research the products, consulted experts, and read hundreds of consumer reviews tirelessly to compile together this ultimate buyer’s guide for the best can crushers ever made that will surely aid people in making a clear choice when buying a can crusher. Listed below are our selected products for the 5 best can crushers of 2024.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Dial Industries – Easy Pull Can Crusher
- Best for Multi-Crush: Dial Industries – M92 Can Crusher
- Runner-up Best Multi-Crush: Basic Industries International Multi Crush Aluminum Can Crusher
- Best for 32-Ounce Cans: MasterCrush Aluminum Can Crusher Recycler
- Best Automatic: ATTEC Aluminum Can Crusher
These are our 5 best can crushers available that you can purchase on the market or online. Next, we will delve deep into each of these individual products and talk about them at great length. Afterward, we will address some common questions, our selection criteria, and factors you should consider when investing to buy the best crushers.
1. Dial Industries – Easy Pull Can Crusher: Best Overall
About This Product:
At an initial glance, Dial Industries – Easy Pull Can Crusher never occurred to us that it would be a top contender. The reason because the product did not appear striking and the plastic did not seem very sturdy or resilient. But you know as they “appearances can be deceiving” and here is Easy Pull’s Can crusher making the top entry in our selection list. Boasting innovative design and excellent ergonomics, Easy Pull Can Crusher makes it incredibly easy to crush cans. It can effortlessly turn 4 bags of uncrushed 12-ounce cans into just a bag. According to Dial Industries, the patented pivoted crushing mechanism supposedly makes it much easier to crush than other can crushers. It is very easy to load cans into this can crusher. So feel free to load, and crush without any interruption. Furthermore, you do not need to touch sharp and tarnished cans because it automatically dispenses the can which is squashed into a container. Neat, right? You can also get the optional collection bin which is available as an optional purchase. It also comes equipped with a rotating grip that can be effective for rapidly crushing cans without straining the palm of your hand.
What We Liked:
- According to our research, we have noticed that reviewers of this product were very satisfied with how well it performed and how competently it held up during testing.
- Excellent value considering the price to performance.
- It can crush an average of 19 cans in one minute as test results have shown.
- It is very easy to mount on a wall with included hardware.
- Removable collection bin available.
- A rotating hand grip makes it comfortable to use
- Easy Pull Can Crusher can only 12 ounce-sized cans or smaller. This is fortunate because the vast majority of cans are of that size. However, it is useless for cans up to 16 or 32 ounces.
- It cannot multi-crush cans.
- Can need to be loaded one by one.
2. Dial Industries M92 Can Crusher: Best for Multi-Crush
About This Product:
Much like our top contender of the same brand, Dial Industries M92 Can Crusher offers the same 12-ounce can-crushing experience, however, the built-in basket has the capacity to store 10 cans at once. This indicates that it should be used for multi-crushing cans. Users can very quickly and easily crush up to 10 cans in 10 seconds. You will be in shock after operating this multi-can crusher once when you notice that it does not require much effort or strength. The M92 Can Crusher comes equipped with an automated ejector which is rather convenient in making it easier to release the compressed cans into the recycle bin. The blades are stainless steel. The body is made of aluminum. Moreover, you have the option to mount this can crusher into the wall. Therefore, it is the perfect utility for a garage and other spaces alike.
What We Liked:
- Based on our research, we have deduced that reviewers were thoroughly impressed with this product.
- One of the best performings can crushers even outperforms many metal crushers.
- Easy crushing that does not require much strength.
- Very affordable considering it is a multi-can crusher.
- The storage bin is provided
- Includes hopper, and an ejector, and uses a pull-up force which is the easiest form of work in terms of efficiency.
- An automatic ejector allows for the compressed cans to be released directly into the recycle bin.
- Since it is plastic, it will not rust or stain from moisture in the cans.
- Can easily be mounted on a wall.
- Can be stored in a garage or under harsh weather/atmosphere.
- One year of warranty provided
- Can only crush 12-ounce-sized cans or smaller. However, this is no trivial concern as the majority of cans are of that size.
- Cannot crush 16 or 32-ounce-sized cans.
- Completely made of plastic which can be bothersome for some people.
- Some users have reported that cans can get jammed up if not squashed completely
- The storage bin is a bit fragile.
3. Basic Industries International Multi Crush Aluminum Can Crusher: Runner-Up Best Multi-Crusher
About This Product:
Next in our pick is another multi-can crusher Basic Industries International Multi Crush Aluminum Can Crusher. This is a very sturdy and durable crushing capable of holding up to 6 cans of 12-ounce size. Boasting a very straightforward, functional design, the large arc of the handle makes crushing six cans in succession easy and fun for both children and adults alike. Users have reported that the compressed can is about 1 inch in size. And that is not all. The crushed cans are automatically expelled into a container which is obviously very convenient. According to experiments by experts, this Aluminum crusher can crush an average of 12 cans per minute. While our top pick could crush about 19 cans in a minute, this is still yet notably faster than most other candidates. It strongly affirms that the Multi Crush Aluminum Can Crusher with six cans loaded into it can be fully crushed in about half a minute. There is no grip on the handle and this seems very peculiar at first as the lack of it could cause ergonomics issues. However, those doubts were laid to rest as the appliance worked perfectly when in operation.
There are a few cons that need to be pointed out though. The white paint can come off specially during those parts when the crusher is functional. While it is solely an aesthetic problem, please bear in mind that your kids or pet can come across this paint and unknowingly eat it. Another potential caveat is that it is only able to work with 12-ounce sized cans. While it most certainly can squeeze a 16-ounce can, it is strictly not designed for that purpose as the output is unsatisfactory. Another minor problem is that cans would occasionally slip out of the sides when empty and it is a very rare occurrence. Overall, we do think it is worth investing in Basic Industries International Multi Crush Aluminum Can Crusher as we think it is evidently one of the best can crushers out there.
What We Liked:
- According to our research, this is a very easy-to-use and easy-to-install can crusher.
- Can load up to 6 cans of 12 ounces in size.
- The crushed cans are very small in size and about 1 inch.
- Can automatically eject crushed cans into a container. Therefore, no need to touch sharp cans.
- Very easy to mount on a wall with included hardware.
- Sturdy and resilient steel body
- Designed to crush 12-ounce-sized cans
- White paint can come off
- Cans could occasionally slip out of the sides when empty
4. MasterCrush Aluminum Can Crusher Recycler: Best for 32-Ounce Cans
About This Product:
Are you looking to crush 32-ounce-sized cans? Then look no further than MasterCrush Aluminum Can Crusher Recycler. This is, by far, easily one of the most well-received can crushers out there which is evident if you just look for some user reviews. This is the sole can crusher to recycle many sizes of aluminum drink cans. That is, it can recycle 12oz, 16oz, 24oz, and 32oz thin walled aluminum cans and even some water bottles. And while many consumers won’t ever actually need to crush cans of 32-ounce size, but for those who do, we strongly suggest MasterCrush as it is one of the best can crushers available on the market. The body, made of plastic aluminum and solid steel with stainless steel rods and brass inserts, measures 11 and a half inches long and 4.5 inches wide. The crushing handle is 23 inches long which can be detached in the middle for convenient storage. This can be mounted firmly both horizontally and vertically and mounting instructions and hardware is also provided. Furthermore, there are pressure relief holes in the base and in the piston. All in all, it is a very resilient piece of equipment partly due to its overlaid framework of steel. According to experts, it has negligible wear and tear. In other words, it is to be expected to last for years to come. It is not complete without its flaws though. Although it is very easy to mount the can crusher, operating it can be hectic due to poor ergonomics. In addition, this is not the most budget-friendly choice for consumers looking to buy the best can crushers.
What We Liked:
- One of the best can crushers out there if you wish to crush can sizes bigger than 12-ounce size.
- Can crush cans all the way up to 32-ounce size.
- The powder-coated steel framework will help this can crusher last for years of regular use.
- Has Hardened steel bolts with lock nuts.
- Powder coated for all weather use.
- Pressure relief holes in the base and in the piston.
- The ergonomics of this can crusher, while sufficient, were not nearly as strong as our top two picks, the Easy Pull and the Multi Crush.
- Not a budget-friendly can crusher.
5. ATTEC Aluminum Can Crusher: Best Automatic
About This Product:
This is a product which takes the phrase “crush with ease” to the next level and beyond. Make recycling super quick and easy with the ATTEC Aluminum Can Crusher. Instantly crush most cans to about only 1-inch thickness! To do so, you simply press the button of the valve. The cans will be crushed automatically and instantaneously. You only need to prepare a bin/container where it will automatically fall off. When mounted, the crusher is also simple to operate by pressing the button connected to the valve. What’s more, it can crush 12-ounce as well as 16-ounce cans and any 500 ml aluminum cans. Based on research and experimental data, it can crush about 30 cans per minute. Needless to mention, it is pretty efficient! The build is heavy, durable, and sturdy and it is very easy to assemble. Users will also receive an assembling guide attached to the kit. The ATTEC Aluminum Can Crusher comes equipped with a safety mechanical valve which helps to avoid any improper operation. The device boasts an all-steel alloy and piston for a firm, resistant, heavy-duty construction. However, because it operates automatically, the price tag on it is very high compared to other candidates in our review. As a safety precaution, it is strongly advised not to put your hand into the frame when pushing the button of the valve. Needless to mention, keep it away from kids.
What We Liked:
- According to our research, this is literally the best auto-performing can crusher available today. The automatic operation is almost instantaneous.
- Instantly crush cans without exerting any strength like in manual can crushers.
- The crushed cans are about 1 inch in size thus saving more space.
- This can crush 12-ounce, 16 ounce and 500ml aluminum cans.
- It can crush upto 30 cans in a minute.
- Very easy to connect and disconnect to the compressor.
- Easy to mount and install.
- Given its automatic crushing feature, this goes without saying that it is very expensive.
- Assembling the crusher can take up to 10 mins minimum.
- Needs to be well-maintained.
In order to select the best can crushers out there, first, we researched content written on the subject and tapped into expertise in such a field. However, that was not sufficient. We decided to take consumer reports and reviews into consideration from recycling forums and subreddits as well as e-commerce site reviews. After delving deep, we have figured out certain characteristics are what people seek most from a can crusher such as durability, ease of use, ergonomics, size of crushed cans, capacity, and so on. Below we will look into these factors.
The best can crushers are aimed at making recycling chores seem fun and worthwhile. So it is essential to buy it only if you are going to use it. Note down your drinking habits or your customer/guest routine, as well as your living space or if you are going to use it elsewhere before investing in the best, can crushers on the market. Listed below are some of the vital traits of a can crusher you should consider before making a purchase. Remember – better to be aware than regret (not knowing) later.
- Can Size
If you have read up to this point, surely you must be aware by now that most can crushers are designed for crushing 12-ounce-sized cans. However, some energy drinks, soda, beer, etc. can come in 16-ounce can sizes. If such drinks are predominant in your family, then make sure the can crusher you want to buy can handle larger sizes. Therefore, paying heed to can size is of utmost concern for a buyer.
Some devices are designed to crush a single can at a time whereas other crushers can quickly crush multiple cans. If you are someone who regularly partakes in consuming a drink or two throughout the day, then a single-can crusher ought to be your choice Otherwise, look for those crushers that load up more cans and also squeeze out cans one by one or more swiftly if you entertain guests or tend to customers frequently or have a serious drinking habit.
As you are probably aware now, many of the best can crushers are made of metal, preferably steel. The best can crushers can load up multiple cans and squash them one by one or at once. However, they do require force and sufficient strength to operate. Moreover, many can crushers are made of rigid plastic. These plastic models will crush one can at a time, so they’re not the best choice for high-volume users.
Crushers are usually designed to lessen the effort required to crush a can. That being said, you still need to exert some pressure to move the operating lever. This is where a handle can alleviate the pain and the effort needed when putting force to move the lever. In addition, foam-padded can be beneficial if you are particularly prone to hand or joint pain
- Drip Guard
While partying or on a special occasion, many people will not notice the drip guard before tossing cans. This is why, some manufacturers nowadays include a drip guard on the can crusher in order to collect the liquid pressed from cans into a channel. Afterwards, you can easily wipe out the channel. We think it is a very neat feature considering it will not make your floors sticky and will save you later from cleaning.
Can crushers tend to require some degree of protection against harsh weather or climates although many cans contain certain drops of liquid refreshments or water from rinsing. However, many cans are specifically made for outdoor use. Hence, it would be in your best interest to look for one if you plan on crushing along the poolside or during a patio.
- Manual versus Electric
Almost all can crushers operate handheld. However, there are a frozen few that are electric. These electric can crushers cost so high that many people cannot (or will not) afford them. However, the manual can crushers are outlined to be user-friendly and easy to install even for people with joint, grip, or other strength issues.
Get The Most Out From The Best Can Crushers
Can crushers are a great, eco-friendly, recycling tool one can have at home. However, as with any tool, when used incorrectly, it will not operate properly or have the lasting impact it should. First-time users often make some mistakes when installing their new aluminum can crusher. With some subtle changes, you can squeeze out more efficiency from the best can crushers.
- Always attach a wall-mounted can crusher to the studs. This is because it provides more stability and uniformity.
- Some models can come with cheap screws and bolts. Just swap them out with sturdier replacements.
- Do not, under any circumstances, use your can crusher on steel food cans. Most can crushers are designed for thin aluminum cans. It goes without mentioning that crushing steel cans will obviously vandalize the device; also putting the warranty to void.
- Verify if your can crusher can also crush plastic bottles because a number of them can. Take precaution as plastic shards can potentially harm your can crushers. So, refer to the manufacturer’s user instructions first.
- To avoid rusting of bolts and hinges due to rain, you may want to mount it in a garage or in a sheltered place when mounting outdoors.
- Tons are force exertion is not necessary to crush cans. Doing so will deteriorate the lifespan of your device. Providing too much force will cause it to crack and eventually break. They are designed in a way so that you don’t need to apply much pressure. Therefore, take it easy and ensure your purchase lasts longer.
- Finally, take care of your can crusher. While they are easy to use and easy to install, some might require maintenance from time to time. Apply lubrication if the crushing operation gets jammed or too rigid. Tighten the bolts should they become. Proper maintenance is the key to get the most of the best can crushers.
Risks of Using Can Crushers
Can crushers come with some risk and can be a dangerous tool in the wrong hands like children or pets. Here are some features buyers should consider mitigating such risks.
- Safety Top
If you have infants or young children in your family, look out for a can crusher with a safety stop in order to prevent pinched fingers.
- Mount Position
Make sure you mount your can crushers in an ideal position (horizontally or vertically). But keep it way out of your children’s field of view as well as out of reach. Make sure the manner in which it is mounted also grants you the highest flexibility.
- Finish/Paint Type
A powder-coated finish will improve a can crusher’s aesthetics and ensure more durability outdoors. However, some paint does come off from time to time, particularly in the operating areas. While it is of little concern, it is extremely dangerous if innocent kids or pets eat that paint unknowingly. Beware as this can lead to serious health complications.
Prices of Can Crushers
- Cheap and Reasonable
Looking for something very simple, bland, or barebones? You can find inexpensive can crushers for $20 or less. The product you will acquire in this range will crush one can at a time and are likely to be composed of plastic coating. Many within this price range are likely to be mounted too.
- Mid Range and Affordable
Costing somewhere from $40 to $70, these are the best options for purchasing can crushers as you are more than likely to find the best aluminum can crushers within this range. And even though most choices will still crush one can at a time, they could have the option to load up several cans at once. Moreover, there ought to be a mechanism where the crushed cans can be automatically ejected into the recycle bin. The build should be noticeably sturdier than the inexpensive ones you get for $20 with weatherproof protection. Most within this range are typically wall mounted.
- Expensive but High-End
Starting from $100 and over $200, these are the most resilient, sturdy, and durable can crushers out there which will grant you a lifetime operation should you provide a little bit of maintenance. Made of steel, these crushers will load up several cans and also crush multiple cans at once. These are also able to crush cans of sizes bigger than 12 ounces. At the end of the day, pricing depends solely on the device’s storage capacity in these ranges. While some may require wall mounting, many are enormous and very heavy so they can be placed on the floor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Why should I buy a can crusher?
If you are working in an industry where there are frequent uses of paint drums, tins, or metal cans, a can crusher will offer a vast array of benefits. Whether or not you are taking your aluminum cans for making a little extra cash or just placing them in your recycling pickup, a can crusher allows you to minimize the space taken up with your recycling. If you drink sodas or sparkling water or beer, you will most likely be purchasing them in aluminum cans. Here, a can crusher can take these cans down to 20% of their original size, making it much easier to store a larger quantity.
- What are the different types of can crushers?
There are many types of can crushers such as single-can crushers or multi-can crushers. However, when narrowed down, there are primarily 3 types such as manual, semi-automatic, or automatic.
Manual crushers are far more adept in a domestic environment as they solely have the ability to crush one can at a time. This process is conducted manually by a lever and typically a handle is attached to it with easy force exertion. This is pulled to crush the product down to around 1/6th of its original size. Crushed cans of 1 inch are the ideal products for purchase and the best can crushers ensure it.
Semi-automatic variations differ from manual crushers slightly. That is, multiple products can be placed into a disposal tray at once. However, the process remains the same as a manual alternative in that the cans can only be crushed individually by a lever.
Frequently used in commercial industries and only for the added benefit of crushing cans automatically. The mechanism operated here is achieved through an inflated engine with compresses where the can is crushed with air pressure. Other alternatives are present where the compressed cans can be of various shapes or sizes, however, these are rare and provide less significance at the cost of higher investment.
- Does crushing cans help mitigate waste?
Using a can crusher will, no doubt, reduce the capacity of waste materials. As a result, you are also cutting down the expense of waste transport. It does not matter if an outsourced company collects your waste or you attend a business where waste is deposited at recycling centers, a can crusher implies far fewer collections/deposits of waste matter are required, yielding in less pollution and evidently saving valuable money, resources and time.
- Where can I buy aluminum can crushers?
Aluminum can crushers can be found pretty much in any household convenience store such as Home Depot or Ace’s Hardware. It goes without saying that they can also be purchased online via Amazon ofcourse. Many of the best can crushers are relatively affordable and some are rather inexpensive. It is a good investment if you have a drinking habit or require recycling on a regular basis.
- How much bin space is required for can crushers?
Rest assured that you can save a lot of space. Almost all aluminum cans are roughly 5 inches tall and 2.5 inches in diameter. When compressed (crushed), the size of cans becomes an inch or so. When hosting a party or a special gathering where you are likely to have tinned beverages, a crush can save you trips to empty the recycle bin as well as clean wet, messy floors.
- What happens to recycled aluminum cans?
The recycled cans are usually remade into new drinking cans. In the factory, many beverage cans are used, recycled, melted down, and reappear as new drinking cans. This process roughly takes about 3 to 4 months. Do note that you are actually helping to cut down costs on your favorite drinks. Furthermore, recycled cans are also used in bicycles, in building construction, and in airplane parts.
- Should I clean cans before crushing them?
Do it if possible. Cans which have been thoroughly rinsed will not have any smelly or nasty odors. Moreover, there won’t be insects buzzing over the cans. If you just throw cans into the bin, overtime insects will appear followed by foul stench. A quick wipe-out with water is sufficient enough. However, do not fret if somebody in your family or a guest throws a crushed can without rinsing. At the recycling facilities, crushed cans are often wiped clean and leftover debris is melted down for recycling.
Our Top Pick
Again, after spending countless hours of research the products, tapping into expert sources, and reading hundreds of consumer reports, we have decided that Dial Industries – Easy Pull Can Crusher is the best option on the market available today. Not only is it easy to use, inexpensive, and durable but it further prevents hazardous cuts by crushed cans by automatically dispensing the can into a bin below. So there is no need to touch sharp, pointy cans/shrapnels or ragged edges. In addition, Easy Pull Can Crusher can crush 19 cans per minute on average. It is, by far, the most impressive feat considering many multi-can crushers cannot achieve this.
Just remember! Essentially, almost all of the aluminum used in aluminum cans is fully recyclable. Therefore, a product which makes it easier for the existing aluminum to be recycled is made way easier. It will help diminish the dependency on developing newly processed aluminum, which is ofcourse costly and plain unnecessary in many instances.
Thus we conclude our review of the best 5 can crushers available in 2024. In the end, any of our chosen products will make it easier to recycle your aluminum cans, thereby substantially condensing down the cost of waste deposit. In buying a can crusher you are also helping to conserve natural resources. We sincerely hope our article has been of some use to you in your expedition to purchase the best can crushers. In case you have stumbled upon this review, please don’t hesitate to share with someone who may require assistance in choosing the best can crushers available on the market today.
You Might Also Like