Winter is a particular time of the year. It brings us vacations, skiing, apple pie and hot chocolate on a crisp day. But when Mother Nature gets out her paintbrush and paints everything white, it’s not pretty. It’s also a problem to deal with.
Snow melting mats are one of the best solutions to prevent snow accumulation during the winter season. They are very easy to use and eliminate the need for shovels or salt on the walk. These mats are versatile and can be used on stairs, walkways, driveways and other areas. On top of that, snow-melting mats are made using weather-resistant materials that last longer.
It must be relaxing to watch the snow fall outside your window from the comfort of your blanket. But, snow can create many problems. If there’s too much snow accumulating outside your door, you probably can’t leave your house without clearing the mess first. It also raises many safety concerns for children and elderly people, and the snow is usually slippery and can cause serious accidents.
However, they can be avoided if you cover a certain area of your front yard with a snow-melting mat. These are portable electronic devices that heat and melt snow, preventing it from piling up.
In this article, there are many different snow-melting mats in the market and it can be quite difficult for you to choose the best product. To help you select the best mat, we have listed and reviewed the 10 best snow-melting mats of 2023.
Top 10 Heated Snow-Melting Mats for Sidewalks, Driveways and Stairs
Today, we’re going to take a look at some of the best snow-melting mats available on the market right now. If you notice a lot of snow accumulating outside your home, it may be the right time for you to purchase snow-melting mats and clear your stairs or walkways. If you don’t know what snow-melt mats are or what to look for when buying one, don’t panic. We’ll provide some important information about snow-melting mats in our buying guide to make sure you find the perfect option for you.
|Best snow melting mat||Best for||Ratings (Out of 5)||Price|
|HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Walkway Mat||Best for overall||4.6||Check price|
|RHS Snow Melting System||Best for long mat||4.3||Check price|
|HeatTrak No Slip Snow Melting Mat||Best for stairs||4.4||Check price|
|EconoHome Snow Melting Mat||Best for budget||4||Check price|
|SEAL Snow Melting Mat||Best for snow and ice removal||3.8||Check price|
|Summerstep Home Residential Snow Melting Mat||Best for cost||3.7||Check price|
|WarmlyYours Snow Melting Mat||Best for fresh installs||5||Check price|
|Cozy Products Ice-Away Heated Snow Melting Mat||Best for waterproof and reliability||3.6||Check price|
|VEVOR Snow Melting Mat||Best for compact and portable size||3||Check price|
|Dr Infrared Heater Snow Melting Mat||Best for large mat||4.7||Check price|
1. HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Walkway Mat
As we said earlier, it is always better to go with a brand that is known for its product quality and is popular in the market right now. Therefore, we’ll start our list with the snow-melting mat from HeatTrak.
The material is an ultra-durable thermoplastic that can take an important thrashing. It’s unusually rugged, and can even withstand daily traffic from heavy electric wheelchairs. The mats are black in colour and have a textured surface that is easy to walk on when slick.
It is a walkway mat measuring approximately 20 x 60 inches. Therefore, you can easily cover a path in your front yard with 2 or 3 HeatTrak snow-melting mats. It plugs into any 120-volt electrical outlet. The best part about these mats is that you can use the mats separately or connect them in series to facilitate control for a large coverage area.
Moreover, it is completely slip-resistant which is safe to use. Another great thing about this mat is that it is easy to clean and maintain. This stair snow melting mat can be used for commercial and residential purposes.
- Size: 30in x 48in
- Color: Clear
- Brand: HeatTrak
- Dimensions: 48″L x 30″W
- Shape: Rectangular
- Material: Customized thermoplastic
- Weight: 3 pounds
- This mat is 2.5 feet long and 4 feet wide making it ideal for most entryways. It is made of customized thermoplastic.
- This heated mat melts snow incredibly fast at 2 inches per hour. Your new melting mat can handle whatever Mother Nature throws at it, making it the perfect winter welcome mat for your home.
- Your entrance mat easily plugs into a standard 120-volt outlet, so no electrical work is required. Each entrance mat is 3.2 Amps.
- A 30″ x 48″ entrance thawing mat costs 5 cents per hour to operate and only needs to be turned on when there is snow in the area..
- HeatTrak’s engineers have taken great care to develop a durable, safe, and effective snow and ice melting system that can be left outside all winter long.
- Your snow melt mat can be securely used on most surfaces including wood, concrete, asphalt, stone and more.
- HeatTrack’s heated deck mats are the best solution for winter slip prevention, as they keep surfaces constantly clean by melting snow and ice. The mats have a textured surface to provide good traction.
- The HeatTrak Melting Mat is portable and can be easily folded or stored flat during the summer season.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Constructed using durable materials.
- Great option for regular use.
- Can be used separately or in series.
- It can melt about 2 inches of snow per hour.
- Slip-resistant and safe to use.
- Snow and ice melt faster.
- Maintain simple and clean.
- The power unit is not included.
2. RHS Snow Melting System
Another great option is the RHS Snow Melting Mat. If you want a long mat covering a large area with even consistency, check out this option from RHS. These ice-melting mats from RHS ensure you won’t have the risk, frustration and property damage associated with falling and slipping due to snow and ice.
These mats are built from thick rubber elements which makes them durable and long-lasting. Apart from that, they are water-resistant and moisture-resistant. The RHS Snow Melting System measures approximately 60 inches in width, providing a substantial snow-free area with the system. RHS Snow Melting Mats are versatile and can be used for commercial and residential purposes.
The RHS Snow Melting System can also melt about 2 inches of snow per hour. So, you don’t have to worry about snow accumulating on the mat even during heavy storms. The materials used to construct the RHS Snow Melting System are UL Listed. These components are safe to handle and offer a reliable build quality. With the length of this unit, you can cover a portion of your roof to keep snow from piling up above your front door.
- Brand: Roof Heating Systems
- Size: 5′ ft. x 13″ in.
- Dimensions: 60 x 13 x 0.4 inches
- Material: Heavy-duty rubber
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Color: Gray
- The RHS Valley Heater rooftop snow and ice removal system is stylish and affordable.
- With 2 inches of snow melting per hour, UL-listed components are built to withstand the harshest environments.
- RHS Valley heaters have a fully waterproof system that serves the most demanding environments, including hazardous and non-hazardous areas, as well as areas where corrosion may be a concern.
- Valley heaters offer 40 watts per foot at 120 volts.
- Easy Installation, Valley Heaters are 100% waterproof and easy to insert into Valley Heaters with 5-foot length ceiling grommet screws included with the system.
- No more climbing ladders to shovel your roof, RHS Valley Heaters go over valley trouble spots, 6.5″ inches on one side and 6.5″ inches on the other side to completely melt the snow, just attach the grommet screws in the labelled locations to secure and loosen. And watch the RHS Valley Heaters get the job done.
- The RHS Valley Heater System provides the most efficient, highly scalable and environmentally friendly snow-melting solution.
- Constructed using durable materials.
- Non-slip surface for added safety.
- Attractive and lightweight design.
- They cover a huge area.
- A roof can be used as well as a path.
- Easy to install as multiple connections are not required.
- A bit expensive.
- Size may be too large for basic applications.
3. HeatTrak No Slip Snow Melting Mat
The HeatTrak No Slip Snow Melting Mat is our top-pick ice and snow-melting mat. This electric heating mat melts 2 inches of snow per hour. This mat is made from customized thermoplastic which makes it very durable and heavy-duty. It is also very safe to use as it is slip-resistant. In addition, it features an elegant design and can complement your home decor.
HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Mats for Stairs are mostly identical to basic HeatTrak mats. One of the nice things about these mats is that they are interchangeable with regular heartbreak mats.
This mat is completely weather-resistant and designed to be left outside for the entire winter season. It needs to be plugged into a 120-V electrical outlet to generate heat to melt snow. This electric mat is designed with a waterproof connector that allows you to connect up to 15 snow-melting mats. Another thing you will love about this is that it comes at a friendly price.
- Brand: HeatTrak
- Size: 10in x 48in
- Dimensions: 20-inches x 60 Inches
- Material: Customized thermoplastic
- Weight: 11.4-pounds
- Color: Black
- Our best-selling heated stair mats are perfect for keeping your steps snow-free all winter long. This mat is 4 feet long and 10 inches wide making it ideal for most stairs.
- Your walkway mat easily plugs into a standard 120-volt outlet, so no electrical work is required. Please be aware that the 120V power source is an additional item that can power up to 15 stair mats with a single power unit. Each stair mat is 1 Amp. No more punching, salty and slipping.
- A 10″ x 48″ stair thawing mat costs 2 cents per hour to operate and only needs to be turned on when there is snow in the area. Cost emerged on the national average energy cost of $0.1319 per kWh.
- HeatTrak’s heated stair mats are the best outdoor solution for winter slip prevention, as they continuously melt snow and ice to keep surfaces constantly clean. The mats have a textured surface to provide good traction.
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is suitable for all weather conditions.
- Can withstand rough abuse.
- Snow and ice melt faster.
- Eye-catching and durable.
- None we found.
4. EconoHome Snow Melting Mat
While many users go for basic snow-melting mats, some users may not like the idea of visible black mats in front of their doors as it detracts from the decor of the space. If you want an invisible solution to the snow problem, take a look at the following option made by EconoHome.
EconoHome brings a unique solution to the table with the EconoHome Snow Melting Mat. While this product is technically a mat, you may notice that there is actually no mat to be found here. Instead, it’s basically a heating net that you can install under the surface to indirectly melt the snow. That way, you won’t have to see a long black mat and you’ll still have a snow-free path.
In addition to being highly reliable and consistent, the EconoHome Snow Melting Mat can be connected to a thermostat to introduce automatic performance based on the surrounding temperature. Also, the EconoHome Snow Melting Mat is backed by a long warranty period of 10 years, which ensures at least a decade of performance and reliability.
- Brand: EconoHome
- Size: 1.5 X 16 (ft) 24 sqr Mat
- Dimensions: 20.5 x 9 x 8.75 inches
- Weight: 7.04 pounds
- Color: Black
- Our heated mats melt snow so it doesn’t build up. Time to say goodbye to the tedious and dangerous task of clearing or removing snow and ice from your roof.
- These electric snow melting mats can be fitted with a thermostat and optional over-current protection and GFCI. Suitable for high-traffic areas, these protect against electric shock.
- Designed to thrive in outdoor settings, these heated sidewalk mats can melt snow and ice wherever you place them. They are ideal for driveways, sidewalks and parking bays.
- These user-friendly snow-melting mats make snow days easier for everyone. They are completely quiet and will not interfere with your daily life. Also, they are easy to install.
- Smart and practical, our automatic ice melting mats provide heat only where it’s needed. They are built to last – each hot mat roll comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Easy to install
- User friendly.
- Offers the longest warranty period.
- Can be installed below the surface for a pure look.
- Can be paired with a thermostat for automatic performance.
- Snow melting ability can be hindered by surface thickness.
5. SEAL Snow Melting Mat
Moving on to the premium range of snow melting mats, we have a great option from SEAL. SEAL deals in a wide range of similar products like snow melting mats, floor heating systems, garage floor mats etc. Seal snow-melting non-slip mats are specially designed to create a safe, convenient and slip-resistant walkway for you. For your family, friends and clients on cold winter days.
Seal snow melting mats are one of the most premium options you’ll find on the market right now for such an accessory. While most other mats have a thermoplastic or rubberized surface, the Seal Snow Melting Mat is made of high-quality surface material with an upgraded non-slip texture to suit residential and commercial applications. It is also a waterproof option, carrying an IPX6 water resistance rating to ensure its reliability in inclement weather.
Once installed, Seal Snow Melting Mats can easily clear up to 2 inches of snow per hour to maintain a clear and snow-free walking area. Thanks to its durable build quality, you can leave the Seal Snow Melting Mat outside all winter long so you don’t have to make any extra effort to use the mat. All you have to do when it starts snowing is turn on its switch and you’re good to go.
- Brand: SEAL
- Size: 11in W x 10ft L
- Dimensions: 120 x 11 x 1 inch
- Material: Thermoplastic or rubber-made surface
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Color: Black
- Seal Snow Melting Non-Slip Mats are uniquely planned for residential, commercial and manufactured use.
- Capable of melting snow falling up to 2 inches per hour, Seal Snow Melting Mats help keep walkways safe and clear. Intended to be left outside for the entire winter season, they can be used in homes, garages, decks, businesses and shops as well as hospitals and schools. Put this mat outside before the snow starts and ensure everyone’s safety.
- On top of protection, these mats help keep the environment free of harmful salt chemicals. The common use of salt damages homes, cars, clothing and more. Providing users with peace of mind, this mat is able to reduce costs associated with replacing carpets, hardwood floors, expensive boots, etc.
- Seal Heated Matte offers sleek styling and eco-friendly technology. To completely melt ice and snow, each 11-inch X 5-foot mat draws only 125 watts. Perfect for helping to limit the amount of work required to clean outdoors in cold weather, the SEAL system effortlessly accomplishes snow removal without ploughing, ploughing or shovelling.
- Designed for maximum waterproofing and safety, the mat’s upgraded structure is suitable for residential, commercial and industrial use. Safe-bond surfaces include asphalt, concrete, wood floors, and stone.
- Suitable for both commercial and residential applications.
- Build quality is outstanding.
- Effective defrosting systems are undoubtedly the best option for snow and ice removal.
- One of the longest-lasting options for snow-melt mats.
- Overall running costs are comparatively higher.
6. Summerstep Home Residential Snow Melting Mat
Are you looking for an easy way to remove ice and snow from your walkways and sidewalks? Then, the summerstep snowmelt heated mat answers. These mats use radiant heat to keep your walkway free of ice and snow.
In 2nd place, we have the most affordable option we found when compiling this list of the best snow-melting mats. The Summerstep Home SM11x30C is the perfect choice for residential applications as it measures approximately 36 x 11 inches, providing the perfect size for multiple installation locations. It is also capable of melting about 2 inches of snow per hour so you can use this mat in case of heavy snowfall. Summerstep snow melting mats are made of a heavy-duty anti-slip rubber material that can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Although the Summerstep Home SM11x30C offers excellent snow-melting capabilities, it is still a fairly inexpensive option in terms of running costs. Summerstep Home is securing around $2 per hour of usage with the SM11x30C. So, it is definitely a great alternative to manually removing snow or using a big and heavy snow remover machine.
They are easy to use, you just need to put them on and plug into a single outlet. Additionally, these mats are easy to clean with soap and water. They are ideal for stairs and walking.
- Brand: Summerstep
- Size: 11 inches width x 36 inches length
- Dimensions: 35.3 x 12.6 x 1.9 inches
- Material: Built of tacky anti-slip, durable rubber
- Weight: 4.00 pounds
- Color: Black
- A piece of mind comes with a 1-year warranty.
- About 2 inches of snow will melt per hour during operation.
- Affordable to operate.
- Generally costs less than $2 per snow day.
- Measures approximately 36 x 11 inches in size.
- Safer and more convenient than using snow casting or deicing salt.
- A (SMPC) 120-volt GFCI power unit is required to connect the snow mat(s) to an electrical outlet. Our Summerstep (SMPC) 120-volt GFCI power unit is sold separately.
- Low running costs.
- Initial investment is low.
- Slip-resistant and safe to use.
- Long-lasting and durable construction.
- Size suitable for covering small areas.
- Warranty period is very short.
7. WarmlyYours Snow Melting Mat
When you install a snow melting system from WarmlyYours, you’ll enjoy shovelling your driveway all winter long.
WarmlyYours Snow Melting Mat is a massive radiant heating system designed for fixed installation. It consists of large green electric coils, set in a plastic webbing. When you are installing a new driveway or walkway you unroll it and place the new material on top of it. The WarmlyYours mat can be attached to asphalt or concrete or even in frequent mortar under pavers.
If you’re mortaring pavers over brick, it’s flexible enough to mortar over stairs. The only material they are not suitable for is gravel, which can damage the coils if you drive over it.
These mats are available in 120- and 240-volt power, in a lot of sizes. At 120 volts, it is available in 2×5, 3×5, 2×10, 2×15, 3×10, and 3×15-foot variants. At 240 volts, it is available in 2×10, 2×15, 3×10, 3×15, 2×30, 2×40, 3×30 and 3×50-foot sizes. All variants produce 50 watts of heating power per square foot, enough for even very bad conditions. Due to various installation options, it is impossible to guarantee a specific level of performance. There are also many control options. You can associate the mats with a thermostat, a manual switch or also a timer.
- Brand: WarmlyYours
- Size: 45 sq. ft. (3′ x 15′)
- Material: Polypropylene
- Weight: 8 Pounds
- Pile Height: Low Pile
- Color: Green
- WarmlyYours Electric Radiant Snow Melting Mats provide up to 45 square feet of coverage, removing snow and ice where you need it most without damaging decorative surfaces or landscaping, corrosion-resistant, twin-conductor heating elements produce reliable and efficient snow at 50 watts per Square feet for melting performance.
- These handy mats install easily in concrete, asphalt or in mortar underneath the paver, drawing only 6.25 amps from 140 volts, keeping the driveway clear without shovelling, and perfect for smaller humbles and pathways to save your family and your investment.
- Available with several different control types, each with different specifications to sense things like air temperature or moisture on the pavement, these snow melt heating systems can be set to operate via a timer or only when remarked weather conditions are met, includes 20 foot (6m) of 14 AWG cold conduct to accommodate to the needs of your installation.
- WarmlyYours Electric Radiant Snow Melting Mats are CSA certified for outdoor use in Canada and the U.S., designed for quick and easy installation.
- Easy to install.
- CSA certified.
- Twin-conductor warming element bounded to a polypropylene mesh backing.
- None we found.
8. Cozy Products Ice-Away Heated Snow Melting Mat
COZY brings a nice and compact alternative to a snow-melt mat on this list. The following option from COZY would be ideal for smaller applications such as stairs or door fronts.
Our 8th pick for the best snow-melting mat is the Comfort Ice-Away Snow Melting Mat. This unit measures approximately 35 x 33 inches in size and can easily prevent snow from accumulating outside your door. Unlike other options made of plastic, the Cozy Ice-Away Snow Melting Mat is made of durable reinforced rubber to ensure long-lasting durability with a grippy surface. It is easy to use as you only need to plug it into any standard 110V outlet. This mat melts snow and ice quickly. It can melt about 2 inches of snow or ice in less than an hour.
The Cozy Ice-Away Snow Melting Mat is a perfect option if you need multiple mats to cover a large surface. Due to the compact size of the mats, you can easily place them to cover only a selected area and leave the rest as is. The comfortable Ice-Away Snow Melting Mat is also fully waterproof, ensuring the same performance and reliability even after melting layers of ice every day.
- Brand: Cozy
- Material: Reinforced UV stabilized butyl rubber
- Color: Black
- Weight: 17 Pounds
- Dimensions: 35 x 33 x 0.5 inches
- Style: Modern
- Size is approximately 35 x 33 inches.
- Comes with a 6 months warranty.
- Perfect for multiple mat installations.
- Runs up to 240 watts and is strong enough to handle cold weather conditions.
- Includes a 15′ power cord for standard 110V outlets.
- Prevents ice and snow from accumulating outside all winter.
- Constructed of highly durable reinforced rubber.
- The perfect solution to keep building entrances safe from the risk of slipping.
- Fully waterproof, this heavy-duty mat is worry-free.
- Forget the mess, pain and expenditure of constant shovelling and salting.
- Made from durable and weatherproof material.
- Compact size is suitable for some applications.
- Energy-efficient and powerful.
- Non-slip surface for added safety.
- Snow and ice melt faster.
- One-color option.
- Backed by only a 6-month warranty period.
9. VEVOR Snow Melting Mat
VEVOR is a brand that deals in a variety of products designed for special-purpose applications. In VEVOR’s product catalogue, you will find products like racing wheel stands, water-alcohol distillers, snow-melting mats, printing machines, etc.
VEVOR Snow Melting Mat is a great option for outdoor installation due to its compact and portable size. The VEVOR Snow Melting Mat measures approximately 30 x 48 inches, making it suitable for installation and relocation in various locations. It is a PVC snow melting mat that can work with temperatures as low as -40°F. Since it is made of PVC material, it has a really nice texture with a waterproof exterior.
The VEVOR Snow Melting Mat has the ability to melt about 2 inches of snow per hour with a maximum temperature of 104°F. With this kind of performance, you’ll always find snow-free trails, even during heavy snowfall seasons. You also get a 6-foot long power cord with the VEVOR Snow Melting Mat so that powering the mats will not be a problem for you.
- Brand: VEVOR
- Size: 30” x 48”
- Dimensions: 30” x 48” x 0.07”/76.2 cm x 121.92 cm x 2 mm
- Material: PVC
- Weight: 6.39 lbs/2.9 kg
- Color: Black
- The snow melting mat is made of PVC, it has the characteristics of waterproof, eco-friendly and excellent skid resistance.
- These heated walkway mats aim to prevent existing snow from melting and refreezing. Quickly clear your walkways with 2 inches/hour of snow-melt and 104°F heating temperature.
- This snow and ice melting mat comes with a 6-foot power cord to fit your ladder. We have designed leakage-proof plugs for your maximum safety. Lightweight and portable.
- Installation could not be easier. Just place the de-icing mat on your stairs or doorway, plug it in and get started. It comes with a total 8 holes for safely fixing.
- Ideal for residential and commercial use. Our outdoor heated mats for walkways are supplied for all types of applications including your roof, stairs, grass, floors etc. No more climbing ladders to shovel your roof.
- Ensures snow melting capacity of 2 inches per hour.
- Operates with a minimum working temperature of -40°F.
- UL-certified parts for maximum safety.
- High-quality PVC.
- Fast heating and easy to use.
- Easy to manage.
- Not as bearable as other options.
10. Dr Infrared Heater Snow Melting Mat
Finally, we’ll feature a snow-melting mat from Dr Infrared. Although it is not a popular option in the market today, it is still a decent product as Dr Infrared manufactures a wide range of heating accessories like room heaters, electric garage heaters, portable space heaters, etc.
Rounding out our list of the best snow melting mats, we have the Dr Infrared Heater DR-101 Snow Melting Mat. It is quite a large option as it measures approximately 23 x 40 inches in size. And you can extend its coverage area by connecting multiple heating mats together and powering them through a single power outlet. It comes with a 10 feet long cable to avoid connection issues.
Dr Infrared Heater DR-101 Snow Melting Mat is made of vulcanized butadiene rubber which is highly resilient and provides a complete anti-slip surface for walking. The power requirements of the Dr Infrared Heater DR-101 Snow Melting Mat are quite basic and can be powered by any standard 120-volt outlet. However, it is capable of offering up to 300 watts of heating power, ensuring consistent performance and fast response times.
- Brand: Dr Infrared Heater
- Size: 23 x 40 inches
- Dimensions: 40 x 23 x 0.3 inches
- Weight: 19.86 pounds
- Color: Black
- Style: Mat With Power Cord
- Size is approximately 23 x 40 inches.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It has a 300-watt power rating.
- Up to 5 additional mats can be added.
- Anti-slipping highly elastic vulcanized styrene-butadiene rubber.
- 120V, 300W heating power, UL listed.
- 1 x Heated Snow Melting Mat + 1 x GFCI Power Cord.
- Made of durable vulcanized rubber.
- The texture and performance are quite good.
- UL Listed Snow Melting Mat.
- Warranty period is too small for the price.
8 Things to keep in mind when buying the best snow-melting mats
There are some important features that you should consider to ensure that you choose the best snow-melting mat. Below we have listed these factors. Let’s take a look.
With a mat like this, you won’t need any extra time or effort to clean the snow every morning. And to make that possible, we’ve brought you a list of the best snow-melting mats you can buy right now. But, if you have never bought such a device before, choosing the right option can be a little difficult. That’s to help you. Here we offer this buying guide to the best snow-melting mats. After going through this buying guide, you will be aware of the most significant qualities of a snow-melting mat and you can easily select the right option for your needs.
For a device like a snow melting mat, its size becomes one of its most important factors because you will be covering a certain area with the mat. So, you should always check the size of the snow melting mat before checking any other factors because the compatibility of the product with your application depends entirely on its size.
If you’re buying a single snow-melting mat, make sure it’s long enough to completely cover your front yard path to your door. But to cover other areas like stairs, you will need multiple smaller units so that you can easily cover each step without worrying about leaving any space.
- Construction Material
The durability of snow melting mats is determined by the type of construction material. To ensure that the mat is durable and long-lasting, you need to make sure that it is made from high-quality materials. On top of that, the materials used should also be weather-resistant as the mat will be used outside all winter. Some of the best materials you should consider include sturdy rubber and customized thermoplastics.
- Snow Melting Rate
Snowmelt rate is how fast the mat is melting ice and snow. The best snow melting mats should have a high melt rate so they can melt snow quickly. Most snow-melting mats have a melt rate of 2 inches per hour.
- Ease of use and cleaning
The best mat should be simple to use and install. Above all, it should be clean and easy to maintain. All the mats we listed above are very easy to use, clean and maintain.
Since you will be using the mat on wet and slippery surfaces, it is important to make sure the mat is slip-resistant to prevent falls and accidents.
For complex electronic devices like snow-melting mats, it’s crucial to make sure the product you’re buying provides long-lasting reliability and value for your investment. And since these devices are not easily repaired, your only option is to get one with a longer warranty period. Snow melting mats are usually covered by several years of warranty.
If you get a snow-melting mat with a long warranty period, you won’t have to worry about its reliability when you leave the unit outside in heavy snow. It can easily withstand heavy snowfall and if anything goes wrong you get free service from the brand.
Finally, we will talk about snow melting mat performance which is basically the ability to melt snow. As you can imagine, the snow melting capacity for different snow melting mats will vary depending on the power of the heating elements installed in the unit. The more heat generated by the snow melting mat, the faster the snow can melt. Generally, the snow melting capacity of a snow melting mat is usually stated in inches per hour.
Our Top Pick
The HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Walkway Mat is our pick for the best overall snow-melting mat for your path or walkway, with no complicated installation required. It’s also very efficient, melting two inches of snow per hour. Then again, it draws much power and you have to put it away each spring.
- How hot should a snow-melting mat be?
Snow melting mats are designed to maintain a consistent temperature of about 40 degrees above ambient temperature. With this, it can easily melt the ice as it lands on the mat, keeping the surface free of snow at all times. Snow melting mats have a built-in safety feature to prevent the mat from overheating. But, if you notice excessive surface temperatures on a snow-melting mat, make sure you repair or replace the mat right away.
- Are snow-melting mats worth it?
Yes. A heating/snow melting mat – for residential or commercial driveways – is definitely worth the investment and operating costs. This is a great way to prevent heavy snow accumulation, ice buildup or slipping on steep driveways. There is no doubt that heated driveways and walkways increase the safety and convenience of your family members.
With the right heat system, ice removal can be much easier and faster than temporary treatments for ice and snow removal such as shovelling, salting, or blowing snow. And, you get to maintain an ice-free surface from the comfort of your home. Most importantly, a heated driveway can significantly increase the value of your home.
- How many snow-melting mats can I power from a single outlet?
How many snow-melting mats you can power from a single unit depends on the power requirement of each mat and the rating of the circuit breaker. If the total amperage rating of the mats exceeds the circuit breaker, it will not be able to power all units equally, affecting the performance of some snow-melting mats. It could also be due to the extension cord you are using for the mats.
- Should I keep the mat ON at all times?
Keeping the mats on all the time will not have any drastic effect on the performance or reliability of the unit. However, this will definitely increase your monthly electric bill by quite a wide margin as the heating elements consume a lot of energy while working. To avoid this, you can simply connect the mats to a single outlet and easily get the switch inside your house to turn all the mats on or off at once. This way, you can keep the mats outside for the whole season without any problems.
Snow melting mats are carefully hand-picked based on certain important features and characteristics that affect their application and performance. If you want to learn more about these topics, please check out our buying guide for the best snow-melting mats presented after our pick. We will help you choose the right option from our list by offering some handy recommendations here.
If you’re on a tight budget or need multiple mats to cover a large area, you’ll need an affordable option like the Summerstep Home Residential Snow Melting Mat. It is the cheapest option available on our list today, offering a low initial investment with low running costs.
On the other hand, we’d recommend going with the EconoHome Snow Melting Mat as it’s the most reliable option on this list. Unlike any other choice on the market, the EconoHome Snow Melting Mat is backed by a long warranty period of 10 years, providing a decade of reliability. This is a rather unique option on this list because it’s not actually a mat. Instead, it’s basically a heating net that you can install under a surface or brick to melt snow without a visible mat. It can easily cover a large area as it is 18 x 288 inches in size.
If you are also looking for such an alternative, we recommend the Cozy Ice-Away Snow Melting Mat. This mat measures just 35 x 33 inches, making it a great solution for covering stairs or entry points. It is a premium option made of durable rubber that provides a great surface with a secure gripping surface.
We hope that our article helped you to know the best snow-melting mats on the market. All the mats we listed above are currently the best-selling and top-rated snow-melting mats in 2023. Make sure you choose only the listed mats to get the best product.
You Might Also Like