It is no surprise how much hardware technology has developed and flourished through the years. In the case of infrared heaters, this is more affirmative. While a great number of things to consider such as budget, design, thermals, portability, mounting, and other safeguard characteristics, making the choice will, by and large, depend on heating capabilities and exactly how much space will it heat. But why choose infrared heaters? Mainly because they give off low harmful emissions. In addition, no maintenance or servicing is required. Power consumption is also very low. Overall, they are easier to install.
Are you in dire need of a new infrared heater to make yourself warm and cozy? Are you fed up with the usual convection heaters that take forever to warm up the room and still aren’t particularly effective for heating up large spaces or rooms? If the answer is yes, then fret not for we will aid you into making the correct choice.
The 12 Best Infrared Heater of 2023 Reviews
We have compiled 12 of the best-infrared heaters of 2023 after countless hours of assembling user reviews across the internet. Nothing is cherry-picked. Here is a quick comparison demonstrating the top 12 heaters according to our research. Afterward, we will cover each model in depth.
|Dr Infrared Space Heater||Portable|
1000 sq.feet coverage
|Duraflame DFI030ARU Infrared Quartz Set Heater||Remote enabled|
1000 sq.feet coverage
Great firewood replacement
|TRUSTECH Space Heater, 1500W Ceramic Desk Heater||Very portable|
100 sq. feet coverage
|Dr. Infrared DR-988 Heater||Portable|
|COSTWAY Portable Quartz Heater||Portable with carrying handle |
Budget friendly160 sq.feet coverage
|Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater||12-hour timer|
1000 sq.feet coverage
|Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater||Wall/ceiling mounted so not portable|
Little over 400 sq.feet coverage as user-tested
Easily readable LCD display
|Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace||1000 sq. feet coverage|
Premium oak build
LCD display and remote control
|AirNmore Comfort Deluxe with Copper Infrared Heater||1000 sq.feet coverage |
|Dr. Heater DR218-1500W Greenhouse Garage Workshop Infrared Heater||Water splash protection |
No maintenance required
|Duraflame 5HM7000-NC04 Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Oscillating Tower Heater||1000 sq.feet coverage|
Premium oak build
|Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater||1000 sq.feet coverage|
Very well priced
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater: Best Overall
When it comes to the best heater in the market, nothing tops the list other than this beastly Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space model. We are already aware that infrared heaters have low harmful emissions and are very energy efficient. However, the Dr Infrared Heater Dr Infrared Heater Portable pushes these attributes further. Weighing 24 lbs and arriving with three distinct heating modes: Heat, Low and Eco, this beast of a heater can warm up rooms quickly with a quartz tube dual heating system. As the name suggests, it comes equipped with four caster wheels for both portability and flexibility. It also uses 100% of the heat it produces. This yields almost negligible loss in heat transfer thus making it extremely reliable at heating 1000 sq.feet spaces. It is remote enabled and comes with a programmable thermostat. Temperatures vary from a cool 50 degree Fahrenheit to as hot as 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Noise is considerably low and based on the user review tests, it comes under 40 dB which is the same as average home noise. We could not find any major drawbacks except the heater has to be put under safety mode before you can access it via remote. Upon close inspection, we have come to deduce this is an intentional design preference by Underwriters Laboratories for safety precaution.
- Remote enabled
- Silent operation
- Thermostat works across all modes
- Guaranteed to last long and durable
- Certified by Underwriters Laboratories
- Auto shut-off feature
- Very low power consumption
- Can heat large rooms
- Reasonable price
- Remote only to be accessed after manually turning on the heater
- Display can be slightly difficult to view
2. Duraflame DFI030ARU Infrared Quartz Set Heater with Realistic Ember Bed and Logs: Best Bed and Logs Infrared Heater
If you want a more aesthetically pleasing model, the Duraflame DFI030ARU Infrared Quartz Set Heater is the perfect choice for you. No need to bother with the mess of firewood when you can conveniently install this quartz electric log and take in the mesmerizing view of the flames which can project 5 different brightness levels. The model is conveniently designed to be stationary so those looking for portability will have to look at other models. Power draw is 1350 watts and it produces over 5000 BTUs thus making it sufficient for spaces as large as 1000 sq.feet. Weighing in just 14 lbs, the flame it can project on walls are breathtaking to glance at. In addition, the amount of heat generated by it is very impressive. There is one major caveat based on user reviews. Since this model uses a fan like many other infrared heaters, many have reported a vexing noise though this issue seems to be unit to unit dependent. If you are one of those unfortunate buyers, you can always opt for returning. Another issue is even though it has remote control, the temperature can solely be regulated over the heater itself which can be a bummer for some people. There is no display option here but this isn’t an issue because it would absolutely annihilate the aesthetic appeal of the model. Sometimes less is more. Needless to mention, if you are considering replacing your old fireplace, this is it!
- Dazzling, beautiful, aesthetically pleasing
- Extremely realistic ember bed and logs
- Generates tremendous heat
- Remote enabled
- Thermostat to maintain room temperature
- Auto shutdown feature
- Reported to make irritating fan noise
- Temperature can only be altered from the heater itself
3. TRUSTECH Space Heater, 1500W Ceramic Desk Heater: Best portable infrared heater
Weighing in just 2.07 lbs and dimensions 6.3 x 7.1 x 9.1 inches, Trustech’s portable and powerful infrared Space Heater is a bang for the buck. Its plastic material composition gives it a unique slender look. It comes equipped with 3 modes namely 1500W high heat, 750 Low Heat, and Natural Wind Fan Mode implying it is also suitable to serve as a fan in the summer season. It is extremely efficient in quickly warming up to compact rooms of 200 sq.feet. The adjustable thermostat always keeps the surroundings at optimal temperature and reduces power consumption. The heater does not accommodate much space so it leaves plenty of room. Noise levels are extremely quiet and you won’t be distracted. It has tip off protection, overheat protection, and an auto shut down feature. Moreover, there is a safety switch which is actually reliable as it turns the unit off immediately. There are no real cons here except the fans can be somewhat unreliable
- Compact design
- Multi-protection safety
- Well priced
- Very convenient safety switch which shuts it off immediately
- Comes equipped with fan for hot days
- Very portable, lightweight and easy to carry
- Fans can be a bit unreliable
4. Dr. Infrared DR-988 Heater: Best Heater For Garage
The dependable and very sturdy DR988 electric garage heater is ideal for warming any garage, workshop, or basement with its sleek heating element. It boasts a splendid portable design, a built-in thermostat which can be adjusted from low to high. Equipped comes a fan that provides continuous warmth. Built-in cord storage helps keep your space tidy. There is a finger-proof intake safeguard feature, automatic overheating shutdown, discharge grills, and a mesh safety screen in front of the fan. All these safety protocols are also certified by Underwriter Laboratories. Reportedly, the Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 model spurts 18500 BTUs of heat which is more than sufficient to bring a 600 sq.feet garage to 95 degrees Fahrenheit in a matter of minutes. The only real issue here is that this particular model needs a 220 Volt power source. For that, a steady 30 amp fuse is required. So bluntly speaking, if you can run this inside the garage, it will definitely spew out good heat.
- Simple, easy installation
- Tremendous heat output
- Thermostat control adjustable from High to Low
- Compact design
- Overheat protection, finger-proof intake
- Advance dual heating
- Can quickly heat up garage and basements quickly
- Some people may not have required necessities to run this heater
5. COSTWAY Portable Quartz Heater: Best Budget Infrared Heater
Those lights on their wallet may want to consider the COSTWAY Portable Quartz Heater. Weighing in under 7 lbs, it offers good portability. Noiseless as it is, you can competently warm up to 160sq.feet in a couple of minutes. Power consumption is at a neat 1200 Watt with a voltage rating of 120 Volt. Now, one can wonder why this power consumption is not 1500 Watt when the heat coverage is drastically smaller than others so far in the list. The reason being that this particular model does not come with a fan. However, it also indicates why this unit is extremely noiseless and keeps exceedingly well under home noise. If you are sleeping on a couch or in bed, the heat coming in from the front is very dense, implying it will make you feel warm and cozy. The COSTWAY Infrared Heater has two heat operation modes:
- Low heat settings at 600 Watt
- High heat settings at 1200 Watt
We highly recommend using 1200 Watt as aforementioned, it will swiftly warm up 160 sq.feet. There are certain caveats of course such as no remote control and timer options. However given the price tag, one should not expect a hefty ton of features either as these things are also lacking in many premium infrared heaters as well. Look at the bright side though. It has essential features such as auto shut-off from overheating, automatic thermostat, cool-touch exterior, and tip-over switch. Lastly, the COSTWAY Portable Quartz Healer is not only reliable in many ways but is also energy efficient and extremely affordable.
- Budget affordable
- Extremely quiet
- Automatic thermostat
- Has all necessary safety features
- Portable, lightweight hence easy to carry
- Energy efficient
- No remote accessible
- No timer
- Heat coverage not 1000 sq.feet
- Temperature needs to be set up via a dial which requires a bit of tinkering
6. Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater: Best Budget Alternative:
Just above we have mentioned that while the COSTWAY Portable Quartz is capable of swiftly warming up 160 sq.feet spaces in a couple of minutes and it is an excellent budget option. However, we feel there are people who want more heavy coverage. Those opting for heating up a large space of 1000 sq.feet would definitely appreciate what the Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater has to offer. Housing a LCD on screen display for temperature,power, control, and thermostat settings and weighing in 12 pounds, the barebones but durable plastic exterior of Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater is an excellent budget alternative as it packs quite a lot of punch. Considering the amazing price, it offers remote access, consists of two different heat modes – Max and Eco and in addition, a fan mode for the summer season. Power draw is 1500 Watts and it is capable of covering 1000 sq.feet. Needless to mention, the Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater adept warms up medium to large-sized rooms and honestly, you cannot go wrong with this model.
- More than affordable
- Sleek, compact design
- Remote access
- Control panel with LCD display
- Cool touch and tip over protection
- No significant caveats.
7. Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater: Best Outdoor Infrared Heater:
Heaters are not only installed indoors. Sometimes, installing outdoors is mandatory such as for patio, backyard, decks, garage, and home, especially during the cold. The best aspect of the Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater is it can be very conveniently mounted in the wall, in the ceiling, and even on a tripod. Quite frankly, you can install it anywhere as it offers a degree of flexibility. The power draw is at 1500 Watt like most other heaters. Rigid and durable as it is, this model is ELT (Edison Testing Laboratories) certified as it is manufactured with weatherproof aluminum. The adjustable mounting brackets make sure it is mounted stoutly while hanging in its ceiling or an outdoor wall. You can easily conveniently select from three heating modes namely. L1 – 900W, L2 – 1200W, and L3 – 1500W. Installation is super easy and this unit packs a lot of heat while making negligible noise. While not a huge drag and could be needless nitpicking, it does have two cons:
- As per user reports, remote control is great and very responsive however, the manufacturer does not provide batteries. Very peculiar considering every other infrared heater with remote access has batteries inside them.
- The cord should have been somewhat bigger.
- Excellent heat output
- Silent mode operation
- Remote accessible
- Excellent adjustable mounting brackets
- Certified by ELT to be weatherproof and durable
- Needed a longer cord
- Remote not shipping with batteries
8. Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace: Best Premium Look and Quality
Previously we have included the Duraflame DFI030ARU Infrared Quartz Set Heater as the best ember bed and logs infrared heater. If anyone wants a step over that and has more cash to burn, look no further than the sturdy, very durable, and super energy efficient Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace featuring a dark oak cabinet. An LCD display is included. The flames burn brighter with an increase in temperatures. The manufacturer has provided this with two different levels of realistic fire glow. Hence it exerts a phantom mirage of real flames. The unit comes with not one or two but three commercial grade quartz infrared elements more than capable of heating a large of 1000 sq.feet. This is a huge plus in our book. Needless to mention, it ships with several usual safety features, remote control. It has 4 wheels for portability. Want to just glance at the dazzling flames without turning heat on? Yup, Lifesmart has got you covered. The sole caveat here is this model is obviously more expensive than any other recommendations from our list. It should come as no shock though as this buying unit is a luxury item. With a premium black oak cabinet, glossy design along with all the basic necessities from an infrared heater, one cannot go wrong with this choice.
- Premium oak design
- Thermostat control
- 12 hour timer
- Remote access
- Usual safety measures
- LCD panel showcasing ultra realistic flames
- Can just enjoy flame without it actually turning on
- Wheels for portability
- Expensive than other models due to premium oak finish
9. AirNmore Comfort Deluxe with Copper Infrared Heater: Best Premium Alternative
The 1500 Watt AirNmore Comfort Deluxe has an abundance of safety measures. Equipped with a tip-over sensor, It does not get hot to touch on the outside thus which essentially implies that it is both pet and child safe. Hanging different heat modes to choose from is to be expected from this very expensive $295 unit and we are pleased to state that AirNMore provides 2 heat settings – a 1500 Watt high and a 1000 Watt low. So the user can expect the model to pump out serious heat and should be more than capable of warming up 1000 sq.feet spaces. One very welcoming addition to AirNmore Comfort Deluxe is that, unlike other popular or premium infrared heaters, this unit does not make use of Quartz heating element which means there is no bulb. Rather, AirNMore uses a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) technology using a resilient copper element other than aluminum to generate infrared heat. PTC has the known advantages to be more efficient and long-lasting while making use of copper in contrast to other alternatives such as conventional coil, electric heaters. As a result, it is exceedingly better in this field. Another major advantage that needs to be pointed out is that since this unit does not contain any bulb which can burn out, users should expect a very longer span of service. Lastly, this particular model has a smart feature where if the electricity goes out , the unit will remember the settings before the outage occurred.
- Includes many safety features
- Long enduring
- Outside does not get heated up
- Remote accessible
- Operation can be loud at times
10. Dr. Heater DR218-1500W Greenhouse Garage Workshop Infrared Heater: Best Build Quality
Many heaters are not incredibly durable but the sturdy, rugged Dr. Heater DR218-1500W Greenhouse Garage Workshop Infrared Heater most certainly is. Addressing the elephant in the room first which is this heater does not require any maintenance at all. Want to keep those plants warm and tender? Dr. Heater DR218 does it with ease. The heater is all wrapped in metal coating meaning it can serve in harsh climatic conditions and obviously in garages, decks, cabins, workshops, etc. Weighing 12.8 lbs, the compact design of Dr. Heater DR218-1500W Greenhouse Garage Workshop Infrared Heater offers good portability while offering protection against water splash. Moreover, it contains an adjustable thermostat, built-in sensor for overheat protection as well as fan-only setting. The only caveat according to users is the unit takes somewhat a longer duration to warm up whereas other heaters can warm up without much delay.
- Compact design
- Very durable and sturdy
- Zero maintenance
- Keeps outdoor plants warm in winter without damaging them
- Water splash protection
- Protection from overheating
- While not designed for having remote control, it can be bothersome for many people
- Warming up takes a longer time.
11. Duraflame 5HM7000-NC04 Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Oscillating Tower Heater: Best Tower Infrared Heater
Duraflame hails as one of the best infrared manufacturers their tower line up is the golden standard. This Duraflame 5HM7000-NC04 Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Oscillating Tower Heater is best at exactly what it states, that is it oscillates. Do expect your rooms to warm up significantly faster. Rated at 5200 BTUs due to the 6 Quartz heating elements, this beast infrared heater has no trouble heating up to spaces as large as 1000 sq.feet. Fret not about the unit getting too hot as Duraflame have implemented an auto shutdown feature when temperature hits 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Other safety measures involve having a tip-over switch, plug fire prevention technology, adjustable thermostat etc. A cool touch exterior allows for child and pet safety without burn. The heater always remains stationary. It can blow heat in one direction only or alternately to oscillate and move side to side. Remote control is provided and temperature is digitally displayed. There are a plethora of temperature settings which are really nice and incorporate this with a premium oak build and we have a very striking infrared heater. The only caveat here is the oscillating fan makes slightly more noise than expected.
- Oscillating feature
- Premium oak finish
- Many safety features
- Remote control
- 12 hour timer
- 6 Quartz heating element
- Oscillation causes a bit of noise
- Very tall so can tilt over
12. Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater: Best Easy to Use and Very Affordable Infrared Heater:
Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater is an excellent choice for users who wish to use very convenient types of heaters. Price at just $80, we highly recommend the Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater. Using a 3 Quartz heating element, it can sufficiently exert enough heat to warm up large spaces of 1000 sq.feet. Now, this particular heater looks more like a desktop. The front mesh enables ample heat to sprawl out into the room. Extra large vibrant LED display ensures all the settings are in plain eyesight. In addition, it arrives with all the basic necessities such as overheating protection, remote accessible, 12 hour timer, tip-over switch, auto shutdown and touch safe exterior. The cabinet is fire-proof and it is also energy efficient. There are three adjustable heat power settings namely high, low, and eco to ensure only required heat is pumped out. Eco mode uses as little as 750 Watts to save up energy. Some users have reported the fan is a little loud and the on screen LED display is very bright. Others have complained about the simple, blunt design.
- Remote control
- 12 hour timer
- Tip-over switch
- Auto shutdown feature
- 3 heat settings
- Eco mode
- Very affordable
- LED display can be bright for some people
- Some users reported fan noise
Why should you consider using Infrared Heaters?
Now that we have provided a detailed guide suitable across all every essential group of buyers, let us briefly address why infrared heaters are a good option during the season of winter.
- Efficiency – To begin with, infrared heating is durable and efficient. As stated initially, convection heaters take ample time to heat up any room because hot air rises and cooler air drops. As a result, the cold air again needs to be warm infrared heaters are the solution. This is of no concern for the most advanced and best infrared heaters of 2023 in the market today. Best infrared heaters are capable of warming up large spaces in a matter of time.
- Silent – Most infrared heaters don’t include fans so they tend to stay quiet. This is mainly because not many mobile parts are present.
- Portability – Infrared heaters are either fixed or portable in nature. That being said, most manufacturers ensure their infrared heaters are portable by nature. These tend to be lightweight so that users can very conveniently move them from one room to another.
- Remote Control – Gone are the days where users had to manually set up heating control and get out of their comfortable sofa or chair to adjust the temperature again.. Rest assured, there is absolutely no need to get out of the couch just to change the heat settings for today’s best infrared heaters. Simply use the remote to access a bunch of heat settings and timer or even for turning off the unit.
- Ease of Use – Unlike convection heating units, infrared heats require little to no maintenance at all. This is because there are no components such as exhausts or filters inside. The user just needs to clean the unit from time to time as dust accumulates.
- Outdoor usage – Suppose you require infrared heaters for the garage, cabin, deck, outdoor plants for winter or any outdoor location. In such scenarios, infrared heaters excel as it warms up the objects instead of air.
Our pick for the best Infrared Heater of 2023 goes to Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater. It is capable of warming up to 1000 sq.feet and the three different heating modes (High, Low & Eco) are a huge bonus. It is portable, tends to stay quiet, safe to touch, has tip-over-shut-off, and is overall easy to maintain and all the other qualities as expected from an ace infrared heater.
Finally, this concludes our best-infrared heaters of 2023 guide. Here’s hoping this article made the job easier for you in deciding to buy an infrared heater.