Are you looking for the best hand warmers in cold climates which can help keep you cozy indoors? If yes, then you are in the right place. We will show you the best hand warmers of 2022 with features, pros, and cons.
Hand warmers can be used to warm more than just your hands. Use them to warm up a sleeping bag, water bottle, camera battery, or even your phone if it shuts down due to cold temperatures. You can place them in your femoral or carotid artery to help warm your whole body in an emergency.
The appropriateness of hand warmers is not limited to climbing. Hand warmers are a major quality-of-life upgrade on a ski day, a mountain trip, or even a relaxed cookout. There are several options and things to consider when buying hand warmers. You’ll typically find air, battery, or fuel-activated heaters in terms of heat sources. So in this article, we’ve compiled a list of the best hand warmers for 2022 to help you make a more informed decision.
Top 5 Hand Warmers With Our Reviews and Buying Guides
Hand warmers are a great way to provide the warmth you need to ensure your outdoor fun isn’t ruined by cold weather.
Whether you need 12 hours of reliable heat or the classic convenience of a hot hand, our list of the best hand warmers of 2022-2023 has you covered. For more information on the different types of hand warmers and how to choose between them, check out our buyer’s guide and our comparison chart at the end of this article.
|Best hand warmer||Best for||Ratings (out of 5)||Check price|
|HotHands Hand Warmer||Best for overall||4.8||Check price|
|Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer||Best for refillable flame-powered hand warmer||4.5||Check price|
|OCOOPA Rechargeable Hand Warmer||Best for electric||4.6||Check price|
|Grabbers Hand Warmer||Best for disposable||4.7||Check price|
|Hotsnapz Hand Warmer||Best for reusable||4.3||Check price|
Suffering from cold hands? Hothands hand warmers are an excellent way to keep your hands toasty without heavy gloves. These single-use products provide up to 10 hours of heat to enjoy the outdoors without cold fingers. Whether you’re enjoying a winter wonderland or just dealing with cold weather, this option is a must-have accessory and easy to use.
They are cheap, lightweight, and warm enough to keep your hands comfortable outside. They are easy to search in pharmacies, grocery stores, and prominent retailers. And if you work with your hands outside, business-card-sized warmers are small enough to slip into winter gloves without interrupting routine tasks. They reached 118 °F and lasted about six hours in our tests, which is warm and good enough for most outdoor performances. Because they’re disposable, you can’t reuse or recharge them like our other choices, and you’ll need to open a new packet for each use.
It takes less than 15 minutes to heat up, and in case of heat loss, you can simply expose the heater to some fresh air and shake it out.
- Maximum temperatures are 112 degrees Fahrenheit on average; 118 degrees Fahrenheit maximum.
- Safe, natural, long-lasting heat, disposable. Made in the USA using household and imported equipment. No shaking or kneading is required.
- Hothands warmers are single-use air-activated heat packs that provide everyday warmth and are ideal for keeping your body warm when the temperature drops. They are available in different styles for your hands, feet, and body.
- Every individually sealed thermal package holds 2 single-use warmers.
- Warmth that lasts; use air-activated heat designed for easy on-the-go warmth when needed.
- Remove the warmer from the outdoor package, and push it to activate. Warms up within 15-30 minutes. If heat subsides, expose to warm air and shake. After use, dispose of garbage regularly. The component will not harm the environment.
- 10 hours of warmth.
- Easy to use and discard.
- Inexpensive price.
- Can be used on the back and feet.
- Comes in bulk.
- Heats up slowly.
- Direct contact may cause skin irritation.
- Not reusable.
The Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer is a refillable fuel-powered warmer that lasts all day, making it ideal for wilderness, winter camping, or bitter-cold hunting trips. This backcountry warms lighter fluid off and ignites with a lighter. It’s reusable, as long as you have a lighter fluid and thinner, so it fits nicely in your pocket. It’s an excellent product for backpacking or cold days because you don’t need to recharge it at an outlet or dispose of it when you’re done. Our test also lasted a total of 12 hours, as advertised.
This hand Warmer is a great choice when you’re already carrying other gear or equipment, but it might be better if you plan a quick and light trip.
It requires a flame to turn on. But once it is activated, this warmth provides heat without fire. The outer case is metal, and we like that it comes with a pouch, so it’s easy to adjust the temperature and store it warm for later.
- Weight: 3.2 ounces.
- 1-year warranty.
- Includes easy-fill technology. Once turned on, the hand warmer will provide continuous heat for 6 – 12 hours.
- Maximum measured temperature: 189 degrees F (without pouch); 116 degrees F (with pouch).
- Advanced fill cups help reduce spillage.
- Smooth, slim design fits in small pockets.
- Metal construction stands up to the most challenging conditions.
- Great for those long cold hunting trips and other outdoor activities.
- Provides 12 hours of warmth.
- Easy to use.
- Long-lasting (after initial first use).
- Comes with a pouch to adjust the temperature.
- Complicated to use.
- Noticeable smell.
OCOOPA hand warmers are ideal for the daily commuter, dog walker, or hiker with their rechargeable battery and more convenient size. It’s an excellent option for anyone living in cold climates that need to be outside for an extended period, and it doubles as a portable battery bank. It’s small and fits easily in your hand but still packs a punch and keeps you warm. On the highest setting, this product can get up to 140 degrees F in just a few minutes but maintains a steady heat at around 135 and can maintain this temperature for about four hours on the highest setting. We found this warmer very efficient and love taking it with us on dog walks and in the car in the morning.
The OCOOPA Rechargeable Warmer has a small velvet sleeve, supposedly to keep the warmth in, but we found the product to be about 10 to 20 degrees warmer without the sleeve. It also wouldn’t be the product of choice for skiing, running, or climbing, as it doesn’t store easily under your gloves, socks, or chalk bag. Not to mention, you need regular access to an outlet to keep this baby warm.
- Weight: 4.8 ounces.
- Two-year warranty.
- Press the switch and instantly leave the warmth for you. Double-sided quick warm-up in seconds.
- Maximum measured temperature: 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lasts for 5 hours.
- Compact, palm-sized, and lightweight.
- Made of high-tech aircraft-grade aluminium and ABS material, thousands of polished exterior materials, smooth and warm, portable and compact, and one-handed anti-skid.
- 5200 mAh lithium rechargeable battery with USB-C charging port ensures long usage. It can also be used to charge your electronic device as a power bank anytime.
- Easy to use.
- Rechargeable 5200mAh battery.
- Heats up fast.
- Used to power chargers for other devices.
- Multiple heat level options.
- Takes a while to charge.
Most hand warmers are designed to provide continuous heat for hours. Still, if you need the occasional rejuvenating burst of warmth, the Grabber might be a good option for you. While HotHands wins in consistent heat generation for extended use, the Grabber beats all competitors for the highest heat rating.
It is designed for outdoor sports, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, jogging and dog walking; these single-use, air-activated packs provide quick and instant heat, with maximum temperatures starting at 156° F (69° C). They are very easy to use: just open the packet and expose it to the air. They take less than a minute to warm up and stay warm for up to six hours, although the heat intensity will decrease from the initial high level. If you retain them in a pocket or glove, you will get fantastic results.
If you need a disposable warmer for a relatively short period (such as a climbing attempt), Grabbers warmers may be the hottest at the start. But if you prefer more consistent heat, go for HotHands.
- Maintain heat for 7+ hours.
- Perfect for use in gloves or pockets.
- Warm elements are environmentally safe – no charger or cleaning is required.
- Working at an average temperature of 135 degrees, the warming pack.
- Remove heat from the outer package. Warms up within 15-30 minutes. If heat subsides, expose to warm air and shake.
- Warmers are ready in minutes using air-activated heat designed for warmth on the go.
- Designed for 1-time use.
- They are available in various styles that is designed for your hands, feet and body.
- Safe travels.
- Sport Type: Snowboarding, Snow Skiing.
- Easy to use.
- Provides long-lasting warmth.
- No need to charge.
- Can only be used once.
- Heat intensity doesn’t last the entire time.
If you want the advantages of a disposable hand warmer in a reusable system then try Hot Snapz. It’s a crystallization-type hand warmer that you soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes before going outside; When you need a burst of warmth, you can simply click on the elemental disc in its centre to escape the heat.
HotSnapZ is a quick-acting hand warmer perfect for people looking for a cheap and quick pick-me-up instead of warming their hands all day. They come in multiple sizes, and the largest can hold heat for up to 2 hours (but don’t fit in a pocket). The smallest size holds heat for about 30 minutes, and the pocket-warming size holds heat for an hour.
They are ideal for families that go to outdoor sporting events or for quick winter warmth, But we recommend them for only some-day or multi-day outdoor activities.
These lightweight warmers can easily fit inside a glove or a small pocket. So, you can accept them with you when you travel. While they’re not ideal for long periods in the cold, you can bring six with you for up to four hours of heat.
- The internal snapping starts generating instant heat, reaching 130 degrees. The internal chemical reaction produces long-lasting heat (about 50-60 minutes for pocket warmers and 30 to 40 minutes for hand warmers).
- Weight: 3.7 ounces.
- Reusable hundreds of times.
- Maximum measured temperature: 117 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stop filling landfills with disposable hand warmers. Again charge your HotSnapZ to boil it in water for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature. Then they are ready for repeated use.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Compact and easy to use.
- Heats up quickly.
- No batteries are required.
- It is also reusable after 10 minutes of boiling in water.
- Short heat time.
- Application is limited.
7 Things to keep in mind when buying the best hand warmers
Modern hand warmers are a real game changer for cold weather conditions. On the coldest days, whether you’re out hunting, skiing, camping, or running errands, your hands will need more than mittens to use, not to mention feel. Consider the following when shopping to make sure you buy the best hand warmer that meets your expectations.
Hand warmers can be great after ungloving your hands for some fine motor work, but they’re not a substitute for proper clothing. If you’re regularly cold in the backcountry, consider upgrading your outdoor wardrobe, such as a pair of the best hiking socks.
While most single-use hand warmers use iron powder to generate heat by exposure to outside air, reusable hand warmers use different processes, including sodium acetate, lighter fluid, and internal batteries. The advantage of single-use hand warmers is that they are the easiest to use: once the package is opened, they start to warm instantly. Reusable hand warmers require some foresight to juice them up before you go out, and for those who use lighter fluid, an extra layer of care.
- Source of heat:
Hand warmers are two main types: disposable and reusable. Disposable options usually heat up when exposed to air, and depending on the outside temperature, many can last a full day. Once cooled, it cannot be reheated. Disposable options are great for when you don’t have access to a charger or as a backup in a pinch.
Reusable hand warmers usually have a rechargeable battery. There are hand warmers like the OCOPA Rechargeable Hand Warmer. Handheld warmers are helpful for outdoor activities where you are not using your hands or may stop to take a break.
- Duration of heat:
In my tests, the length provided enough variable heat while warming up the hands. When choosing a hand warmer, consider how long you’ll be out and about and whether your hand warmer will serve as a pick-me-up or all-day heat source.
- Size and Weight:
The size and weight of hand warmers may vary. More notably, heavier warmers may provide longer heat duration but may be difficult to bear while active. Smaller, lighter-weight options may be more practical for activities like running or skiing.
- Maximum Temperature:
Some hand warmers in my tests (Zippo and Ocupa) can reach temperatures that are not only uncomfortable to the touch but can cause burns if left in contact with the skin for too long. The Zippo‘s 180 degrees and the Ocoopa‘s 135 degrees could cause second-degree burns within seconds, but both came with cloth sacks that prevented direct contact with the user’s skin.
- Additional Features:
Many handheld electric hand warmers can also act as device chargers in a pinch. Some also come with a flashlight, which can be helpful in some low-light situations. Choose a warmer that meets your needs depending on the outdoor winter activities you enjoy the most.
Our Top Pick
- What is a hand warmer?
Hand warmers are small packets or devices that give off heat and can be used to warm your hands. Most hand warmers are designed to be held in your hand, although some can fit in a glove or pocket. Others, such as gloves and mittens, come built-in.
- How much do hand warmers cost?
While single-use hand warmers can cost as little as a dollar (if purchased in bulk), electric hand warmers can run up to $30.
- How long do hand warmers last?
Single-use hand warmers that use iron powder can last up to eleven hours, while OCOPA rechargeable hand warmers typically only last an hour or two.
- How warm do hand warmers get?
The maximum temperature of the hand warmers we tested varied considerably from 108 degrees to 189 degrees.
- Which hand warmer lasts the longest?
On this list, the Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer takes the top prize for total runtime. Since this heater runs on lighter fluid, its runtime is determined by how much fluid is used. In some experiments, a unit filled with maximum liquid remained warm for more than 20 hours.
In the disposable category, HotHands Hand Warmers are known to stay warm for up to 10 hours – an impressive statistic for such a small and affordable warmer.
- How do my hand warmers work?
Hand warmers usually use a chemical reaction to generate heat – the most common types use iron powder, water and vermiculite. When you turn on a heater, the iron powder oxidizes and reacts with the water, creating heat.
- Are hand warmers safe to use?
Most hand warmers are safe if used properly. Some people, usually children who have very sensitive skin and should not allow hand warmers to come into direct contact with their skin.
Some hand-warmer varieties prove more dangerous than others. To use them safely, you must ensure that the correct fuel is used and that there is no excess fluid before lighting. There is also a risk of carbon monoxide leaking if not properly sealed, which poses a hazard when used in a confined space. Only use hand warmers with multiple temperature settings at their lowest output and limit use to 20 minutes.
Depending on your lifestyle and priorities, each product offers specific benefits. Oversized rechargeable products are usually a good option around town, especially since they double as battery packs, like the Occopa rechargeable hand warmer, which is our top pick.
During testing, I found the Grabbers to offer the most impressive warmth of the traditional, budget-style hand warmers. At the same time, the Ocoopa was an excellent recycling option for those willing to spend a little more (and not watch the weight of their gear). Remember that the best hand warmers can help take the edge off a chilly morning, but they’re not a substitute for proper clothing.
In contrast, small disposables are an option for outdoor activities. We thought most of the products did their job well, though some were more versatile. Ultimately, which of these winter accessories works for you depends on how and where you want to use them.
We hope that after reading this article, you will find the best hand warmer that you are looking for.
You Might Also Like