How many of you have found yourself stuck in the first snow or ice of the year without the best ice scraper? We’ve put together a list here to help you make an easy choice when it comes to ice scrapers for your home this winter.
One downside of the winter months is the extra work of scraping ice off your windscreen before you go anywhere. Not only does it add another step to your morning routine, but it’s also a nice cool-down.
An ice scraper is one of those items you often don’t realize you need until it’s too late, but since it’s illegal to drive with a blurred view of the road, it’s one item no driver should go without. It effectively removes ice and snow without damaging your vehicle’s surface and can help you get on the road and out of the cold in no time.
In this article, we look at the features that buyers will want to consider when selecting a durable, effective ice scraper. We also offer our top picks for the best ice scrapers available.
Top 5 Ice Scrapers to Keep Your Car Free of Frost, Ice and Snow This Winter
Many plastic ice scrapers that you can pick up at local convenience stores or big-box stores usually aren’t up to the task of removing thick layers of ice. When it comes to the best ice scraper, you want to at least make sure you have a metal scraper that won’t damage your windshield. The best ice scrapers have features that can better prepare you for severe winters, including a brush, unconventional “magic” scraper design, an ergonomic scraper, a heated blade for stubborn ice, and even a built-in glove.
Here, we’ve listed dozens of ice scrapers, including brooms, brushes, telescoping handles, and other features designed to handle different vehicle sizes and weather conditions. We then rated them on their length, blade, ease of use, functionality and price.
|Best Ice Scraper||Best for||Ratings (Out of 5)||Price|
|Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Ice Scraper||Best overall||4.7||Check price|
|AstroAI 27 Inch Snow Brush and Detachable Ice Scraper||Best Detachable Scraper||4.6||Check price|
|Snow Joe 2-in-1 Snow Broom With Ice Scraper||Best for budget||4.6||Check price|
|BirdRock Home Snow Moover and Ice Scraper||Best for trucks and SUVs||4.6||Check price|
|Bully Tools 92200 Heavy Duty Sidewalk and Ice Scraper||Best for driveways and sidewalks||4.7||Check price|
1. Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Ice Scraper
Our favorite ice scraper is the Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Ice Scraper because it has all the features you need when ice and snow cover your vehicle. Long enough to use both hands for leverage on hard ice. It easily reaches most parts of your car and is a reasonable size to stash away in the back seat or trunk.
This ice scraper with a 26″ snow brush lets you comfortably reach the far corners of most sedan windshields. A foam grip gives you the security you need when scrapping thick ice, and the 4″ scraper blade has tough ice-breaking properties that won’t give in to stubborn ice clumps.
The curved handle, soft foam grip, and continuous scraper blade of the Mallory 532 26″ Cool Tool Snow Brush make it pleasant and simple to operate. The brush is made of 8″ long and 1.5″ wide coarse bristles. Snow and ice fast brush Its compact design and lightweight body make it easy to store and use, featuring an extra-wide scraper and a two-tone comfortable grip.
- Brand: Mallory
- Dimensions: 26 x 5 x 1 inch
- Weight: 0.01 ounces
- Model number: 532
- Material: Aluminum
- Color: Red, pink, or blue
- 26 inches tall for ample reach and compact storage.
- Its curved handle is comfortable and easy to use.
- Compact design and lightweight body.
- Features four rows of sturdy plush bristles for heavy snow removal.
- 4″ wide scraper blade tear slightly difficult ice and clears thick ice.
- Contoured soft foam grip offers consolation and control.
- Colors may vary.
- Brush and scraper combination for ice and snow removal.
- Foam grip.
- Comfortable, grippy handle.
- Long-lasting materials.
- May not be suitable for removing the hardest ice.
2. AstroAI 27 Inch Snow Brush and Detachable Ice Scraper
Where it snows, it usually snows – which is why we prefer an ice scraper with a built-in snow brush. The AstroAI 27″ Snow Brush and Detachable Ice Scraper tick all the right boxes when it comes to winter vehicle tools. AstroAl’s 27-inch Snow Brush offers versatility.
AstroAI Snow Brush and Ice Scraper won’t leave you stuck with snow buildup on your car. Every feature of this brush was designed to beat the elements and be a tool you can count on for consistency. This ice brush and scraper combo will last through the strongest, longest winters.
Small “knuckles” built into the 4.5-inch scraper blade help scrape away ice without damaging the windshield. A comfortable grip and ergonomic handle make the job easy.
While the brush doesn’t come with the same comfortable grip as a scraper, a built-in handle gives fingers a place to grasp while removing snow. The two layers of temperature-resistant bristles that make up the brush stand up to heavy use and help extend the life of this handy tool.
- Brand: AstroAI
- Type: Snow brush/ice scraper
- Length: 27 inches
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Dimensions: 16.06 x 5.83 x 2.72 inches
- Model number: SN1P0Y
- Color: Red
- The bristle head is light in color and looks fine because we polished the bristle head and each bristle head was split into various strands to be mild to avoid scratching the vehicle drawing.
- Brush ice and scrape ice without damaging your windshield. Break up ice with integrated knuckles and shred it with ease. It can help you quickly remove loose snow from the car’s windshield, roof, doors, hood and side mirrors.
- You’ll only need one, the high-strength ABS shaft, PC bristles and EVA cotton handle are engineered to withstand severe snowstorms and temperatures as low as -40°F.
- Quickly separate brushes and scrapers for easy handling or sharing of work; Stores easily both connected and disconnected.
- 27″ long offers you additional reach for the car, 7″ brush head moves fastly across the windscreen.
- 4.5-inch ice scraper goes into the lower part profoundly without scratching.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Light and easy to store.
- Snow brushes and ice scrapers can be used separately.
- Layered bristles on the brush.
- Ergonomic comfort grip.
- Discrete ergonomic design.
- There is no ergonomic grip on the brush when disassembling.
3. Snow Joe Original 2-in-1 Snow Broom With Ice Scraper
If you’re looking for a broom and scraper combination on a budget, this should be your go-to tool, especially if your car roof is tall or your area gets a lot of snow. The Snow Joe Original Telescoping Snow Broom and Ice Scraper can be adjusted from 33 to 52 inches, so it’s a great option for most vehicles. Effective at one end, although somewhat short, about a 4” ice scraper wedge.
Snow Joe’s two-in-one snow broom and ice scraper make huge snowfalls less overwhelming. An 18-inch head uses a light foam head instead of bristles to remove snow from the vehicle without scratching or other damage. The ice scraper, integrated under the brush, features plastic teeth to break up thick ice.
This extra reach makes it a go-to tool for getting ice and snow out of large or high windows. All of this fits into an easy-to-operate 1.4-pound tool. One thing users might miss on this lightweight device is its ergonomic handle.
When not in use, the pole folds into three pieces and fits into a bracket built into the brush head for compact car storage.
- Brand: Snow Joe
- Type: Snow broom/ice scraper
- Dimensions: 7 x 15 x 49 inches
- Length: 33 to 52 inches
- Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Features: Broom and ice scraper
- Model number: SJBLZD
- Color: Blue
- Weighs only 1.4-pounds.
- The heavy wet snow quickly drifted away.
- Non-corrosive foam heads are car-safe.
- Spread pole adjusts from 30 inches to 49 inches.
- Clear away the snow make on your windshield.
- 2-year warranty.
- Great ice scraper for an SUV.
- Super easy to handle.
- Extendable snow brush for longer reach.
- Oversize foam head to remove snow without damage.
- Compact storage for cars.
- No grip on the handle.
- Ice scraper is small.
4. BirdRock Home Snow Moover and Ice Scraper
This large ice scraper for car windshields come in handy when you need to quickly de-ice your windshield or if you have a large, tall vehicle. It extends up to a maximum of 50 inches, so while it’s slightly smaller than the extended ice scraper from Snow Joe, this Birdrock Home Ice Scraper has a usefully curved shape, making it easier to maintain leverage and break up hard-to-reach ice. Reach the corners of the windshield and roof of the car.
Large trucks and SUVs need an ice scraper with incredible reach. BirdRock Home’s lightweight snow brush and ice scraper help remove winter marks from tall vehicles with its telescoping 55-inch reach.
A thick plastic ice scraper with built-in jaws, this product from BirdRock Home quickly shreds large chunks of ice while the soft foam grip handle keeps hands comfortable and secure.
Trading bristles for foam, the stiff, oversized brush removes a lot of snow with each pass, but it won’t damage vehicle surfaces. Even better, the freeze-resistant rotating brush head lets users customize the angle to make cleaning snow easier. This handy tool comes apart for storage but still takes up a bit more space in the car than the average scraper.
- Brand: BIRDROCK HOME
- Type: Snow brush/ice scraper
- Length: 55 inches
- Weight: 1.98 pounds
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 2.8 x 1.6 inches
- Model number: 7015E
- The snow brush without difficulty removes snow and ice from the windshield, top and hood of the vehicle. It’s equipped with a 270-degree rotating foam head, allowing you to set the brush at the optimal angle for the job.
- The snow brush extends from 31″ to 55″, making it easier to reach hard-to-reach pockets of snow. The long extension is perfect for cleaning windshields or the top of large vehicles such as trucks, SUVs, cars, RVs, etc.
- The ice scraper consists of an ice scraper and jaws. The strong, non-scratch jaws quickly break through the surface of the ice, and then the flat head drops down and removes the rest.
- The ice scraper is removable for quick and easy use.
- The snow brush has three parts: foam head snow brush, ice scraper and telescoping extender. Slice it together when using it or separate it for easy storage when not in season.
- The snow scraper is equipped with foam grips for a more pleasant touch but is light enough for easy mobility.
- Freeze-resistant foam brush head.
- Thick plastic jaws for cutting hard ice.
- Removable ice scraper.
- Pivoting head for greater control.
- Safe for windshields.
- Adjusts to 6 different length settings.
- Wide, effective snow brush.
- Foam brush heads take up a lot of space.
5. Bully Tools 92200 Heavy Duty Sidewalk and Ice Scraper with Long Steel Handle
As the name suggests, Bully Tools Heavy Duty Sidewalk and Ice Scraper stand up to snow and ice. Its sidewalk and ice scraper ranks as a go-to tool for removing stubborn ice from any property and eliminates safety hazards and liability. The tool quickly removes ice so users can get back to where it’s warm.
This durable ice scraper is made with an extra-thick, 11-gauge, 6-inch-wide steel blade, with all-steel construction. It’s a bit pricey for an ice scraper and can’t be used in your car, but it’s a great tool when you have to deal with thick ice or frozen snow from sidewalks and driveways.
At about 5 pounds, it’s heavier than the other ice scrapers on this list, but the extra weight helps get the job done when you’re cutting ice. It’s 58 inches tall and doesn’t fold or telescope, so you’ll need to store it in a garage or shed. While the handle doesn’t have foam cushioning like some of the ice scrapers on this list, it does have a rubber grip that helps you hold it well while you work.
- Brand: Bully Tools
- Type: Sidewalk/driveway ice scraper
- Dimensions: 56.5 x 6 x 1.5 inches
- Length: 58 inches
- Weight: 4.79 pounds
- Features: Ice scraper
- Model number: 92200
- Color: Black
- Small Cut and scrape ice and thick snow from sidewalks and driveways.
- Made of extra thick 11 gauge steel.
- Up to 30% more durable against foreign competitors; a Protective and durable powder coat finish helps prevent rust and extends tool life.
- All steel handles and blades provide a heavy duty for easy cutting; The blade measures 7″ L x 6″ W for a long handle version for a total tool length of 58″.
- Rubber grip on a long steel handle for maximum comfort throughout extended use.
- Commercial grade.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Made in America.
- Heavy-duty 11-gauge steel handle.
- The blade can be re-sharpened.
- Wide handle with a comfortable grip.
- Sustainable construction.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Cannot be used in vehicles.
- Starting to feel heavy when clearing too much ice at once.
7 Things to keep in mind when buying the best ice scrapers
The best ice scraper depends on the specific needs of the user and the climate where they live. In warmer weather, people can get away with using a more basic ice scraper. Below we outline the length, design and features of the best ice scrapers.
Choose a scraper that will allow you to reach across your entire windshield without hassle. Stretching across the hood of your car with a scraper that is too small is inconvenient and can result in slips or falls.
- Scraper Blade:
The main blade surface of the ice scraper should be thick and slightly angled to clear the ice rather than “skating” over the ice surface. For thicker ice, a heavier and more wedge-shaped “blade” offers more advantages. In general, for car windshield ice scrapers, the preferred blade size is about 4-5 inches.
Many scrapers are double-sided, with a brush on opposite ends. A brush allows you to easily sweep loose snow from your windows. Additionally, a snow brush can be used to remove snow from your car’s hood and roof without risking damage to your paint.
- Padded handle:
Some ice scrapers have foam padding on the handle. The padding makes the tool more comfortable to use and easier to grip when wearing gloves or mittens.
Extendable ice scrapers allow you to customize their length to your liking. These options are ideal for those who want a smaller scraper to provide better snow removal but still want to be able to push the snow without having to walk around their car.
There are standards available in ice scraper kits that include multiple tools. From long-handled brushes and brooms to small scrapers, these sets prepare you for a wide range of winter situations.
For most cars and small outdoor surfaces, a single-handed ice scraper 11-17 inches in length is sufficient. However, for larger trucks and SUVs, and for jobs like clearing snow off the roof of Jeeps, long pickups, or SUVs, you can choose a long, extended, or telescoping handle like our 2-pick, the Snow Joe Original 2-in-1 Snow Broom with Ice Scraper and Birdrock Home Snow Mover and Ice Scraper.
Our Top Pick
The AstroAI 27 Inch Snow Brush and Detachable Ice Scraper is our top pick because it’s a versatile, tried-and-true ice scraper equipped with a built-in snow brush. We also like that this option can extend up to 27 inches in length, making hard-to-reach spots like the middle of the windshield or the roof of the car easier. This ice scraper combo will last through the strongest, longest winters.
- How do you use an ice scraper?
The scraper part of an ice scraper is usually made of thin, hard plastic and is shaped like the bottom of a broom. Grasp the handle and use the front end of the scraper to push under the window’s icy coating. The scraper is designed to remove ice from the windows, making it relatively easy to clean the car.
Sometimes the bond between the glass and the ice is too strong, causing the scraper to repeatedly pull away from the ice’s edge. If you continue to chip away at the ice, you will eventually succeed. We recommend simply using the car’s heater and defrost setting to partially thaw this connection before removing the ice with a scraper.
- What can be used as an ice scraper?
Items made from soft plastic, such as a card, spatula or plastic dustpan, can stand in for an ice scraper. These items can crack, though, if the ice is too thick.
- Can an ice scraper damage my car?
No, an accurate ice scraper will not harm your car. You’ll want to avoid using difficult or abrasive components like metal or steel, which can abidingly damage your windshield. You’ll want to avoid using an ice scraper that has nicks or cracks as it can also cause scratches to your vehicle.
- Are ice scrapers bad for windows?
When used properly, ice scrapers are good for windows. Keep in mind not to tap or hit your windshield and apply only medium pressure. Many auto-glass experts warn against using metal ice scrapers. Brass is the exception because it is softer than glass and won’t scratch if used properly.
- Does a snow brush scratch a car?
Yes, snow brushes can leave small scratches on car paint. If the car is dirty, the brush can push and grind that dirt into the paint.
- Can you sharpen an ice scraper?
Yes, this is done using 100-, 150-, or 240-grit sandpaper. Ice scrapers are not worth sharpening unless the user fully knows what they are doing.
In order to pick the best ice scrapers on the market that are convenient and affordable to keep in your car or truck, we’ve narrowed it down to only those that feature “non-scratching” scraper blades – best of all, ensuring you get your windshield while leaving the glass intact. It is important to remove ice from We also select only ice scrapers with comfortable handles and proven endurance in sub-freezing temperatures.
Our favorite ice scraper is the Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Ice Scraper because it’s lightweight and has an extended handle with a foam grip. It has an ice scraper, brush and squeegee, all in one compact tool.
We love the budget-friendly Snow Joe Original 2-in-1 Snow Broom with Ice Scraper. Affordable and lightweight, this handy tool can extend up to 52 inches and includes a non-abrasive 18-inch wide snow broom, so you can remove snow from the top of your vehicle without a scratch.
You Might Also Like