Which Smart Thermostat Is Perfect for you? We’ve listed some of the best smart thermostats in our own homes to find out how they perform in actual-world status.
If you’re attempting to save money on your heating bill in this cold weather, you should consider installing one of the best smart thermostats to keep your home at an accurate temperature.
When you’re not home, a smart thermostat can find so it will turn down the warmth, but then it helps to your home ready at a suitable temperature when you come back. They can explore the weather and advise on what temperature you should set to decrease your energy bill.
There are enough good reasons to pick up a smart thermostat, but selecting the best one is a bit more complex than just throwing it in your cart and checking out all products. Before buying one for your home, it’s an excellent idea to examine the features, ease of use, and of course, the smart ecosystem you already use. In this article, we also offer our top picks for the best smart thermostats to connect to your smart home.
Top 5 Smart Thermostats for Efficient Heating and Cooling
The best smart thermostats make it easy to control the temperature of every room in the house from everywhere using your smartphone. When you’re home or when you’re on your way home from work then they can learn, adjust the temperature accordingly and give you insight into how much energy you’re using.
If you’re ready to upgrade but can’t decide which device to use, this article will help you the most. We’ve carefully researched all the latest options and compiled this list of what we’ve examined are the best smart thermostats you can buy right now.
|Best smart thermostat||Best for||Ratings (Out of 5)||Price|
|Google Nest Learning Thermostat||Best overall||4.3||Check price|
|Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium||Best for Apple HomeKit and Alexa||4.5||Check price|
|Amazon Smart Thermostat||Best for budget||4.3||Check price|
|Honeywell Home T9||Best for ring users||4.4||Check price|
|Mysa Smart Thermostat||Best for high voltage HVAC||4.5||Check price|
1. Google Nest Learning Thermostat
Google’s Nest Learning Thermostat is the most advanced option for controlling your home’s temperature. It offers a refined, streamlined user interface and its learning algorithm makes it particularly effective even with minimal input. Interestingly, this is one of the few thermostats that does not require C-wires. Instead, it turns on your HVAC system to recharge itself when its battery runs low. While some people may find this annoying, it turns out to be a quick and easy process with the average home setup.
This thermostat is equipped with in-depth functions such as geofencing, premium considerations, multi-zone control, and support for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. It looks and feels like a premium device with a 24-bit color screen and strong build quality. The remote capability makes this thermostat especially handy. It can control and adjust your home’s temperature when you’re out and connect to your voice assistant for simple hands-free use.
The Google Nest Learning Thermostat is also compatible with Nest temperature sensors that can be placed in your home for specific and accurate readings in each area. Relatively affordable entry-level Nest thermostats let you control your heating and cooling systems by phone or voice, set temperature schedules, and offer energy-saving features that can help lower your bills.
- Brand: Google
- Model Name: Google Nest Thermostat
- Integrations: Alexa, Google, SmartThings
- Weight: 1 lb
- Dimensions: 3.31 x 3.31 x 1.07 inches
- Connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi
- Material: Polycarbonate
- Controller Type: Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Nest, iOS, Android
- Color: Snow
- An energy star certified smart thermostat for the home that helps you save energy and stay comfortable.
- The Nest Thermostat is designed to work without a C cable in most homes, but you will need a C cable or other compatible power accessory for some systems, including warming and cooling only, zone-controlled and heat pump systems.
- The Nest thermostat turns itself down when you’re gone, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home; Easily program an energy-efficient schedule in the Google Home app on your Android or iPhone.
- Savings finder finds more ways your thermostat can help you save and suggests changes to your schedule in the app.
- Smart thermostat with HVAC monitoring, which looks after your heating and cooling system; Sends an alert when something doesn’t look right, with helpful reminders to make maintenance easier.
- Installing your thermostat is easy, usually in 30 minutes or less, with everything you need including the box; It is compatible with 85% of heating and cooling systems.
- It can control the temperature with your voice using smart home devices that are compatible with Google Assistant or Alexa.
- Nest Renew makes it easy to support clean energy at home; It works with your Nest thermostat to automatically prioritize your usage when energy is cleaner or less expensive.
- Impressive design.
- Works with up to 6 remote sensors.
- Compatible with leading home security systems ADT and Vivint.
- Shows the weather forecast.
- Works with dual-band Wi-Fi.
- Supports schedules and routines.
- 2-year warranty.
- Backup battery.
- No touch screen.
- Geofencing can be tricky.
- Cannot set schedule automatically.
2. Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium
If you’re looking to get your money’s worth, you’ll love Ecobee’s new Smart Thermostat Premium. The Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control is perfect for auditioning for your smart home setup.
While the Ecobee Premium is one of the few smart thermostats in the company’s current lineup, it’s the most refined and updated model. Its refined temperature sensors, air-quality sensors and radar-based motion detectors make for more consistent readings and automatic activation. The Ecobee Premium improves upon its predecessors in looks, simple fit and finishes with a sleek zinc-alloy body and glass touch screen. This smart thermostat typically requires external power via C-wire but if your existing system doesn’t have it, Ecobee offers an optional power extender kit for your home.
Ecobee Premium is compatible with Google Smart Home systems; However, the Assistant itself isn’t baked into the programming. In addition to Google Assistant, both Alexa and Siri can connect to this thermostat and it can act as a smart speaker on its own. With Ecobee Premium, you get a smart thermostat and a smart sensor that you can place anywhere you want to specifically monitor temperature and other metrics. Additional smart sensors can be purchased separately. Considering this thermostat’s precision monitoring and reliable programming options, the Ecobee Premium is an excellent choice if you’re willing to invest.
- Brand: ecobee
- Model Name: Smart Thermostat Premium
- Integrations: Alexa, Google, HomeKit, SmartThings
- Weight: 1.19 lbs
- Dimensions: 4.09 x 2.9 x 4.09 inches
- Connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi
- Material: Metal
- Controller Type: Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, iOS, Android
- Special Feature: Wired Smart Thermostat, Siri, Amazon Alexa
- Color: Black
- The included smart sensor adjusts the all-significant room temperature to reduce warm or cold spots to keep you cosy.
- The air quality monitor alerts you to poor air quality, provides tips on how to enhance it, and reminds you when it’s time to change your furnace’s air filter.
- Premium elements and advanced engineering mean a cinematic interface, an incessant design and a massive, vibrant display with next-level possession ascertaining.
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium is a complete home monitoring hub that includes built-in smoke alarm detection and alerts about dynamic break-ins while your system is armed.
- Comes with a smart speaker and uses the power of your voice to control your home and listen to your favorite Spotify playlists and podcasts through your thermostat’s speakers.
- Get notified when there is an unthinkable temperature drop that could cause damage.
- Extensive feature set.
- Easy deployment.
- Integrated Alexa and Siri controller.
- Large and intuitive touch interface.
- Doubles as an Ecobee security hub.
- No backup battery.
- Not widely available.
3. Amazon Smart Thermostat
If Alexa is your smart home controller of choice, the Amazon Smart Thermostat will fit seamlessly into your smart home setup. Considering the price and appearance of this thermostat, you probably won’t think much of it. At $59, it’s one of the most inexpensive smart thermostats around, and we found it very simple to install and program in our home. It has a simple yet clean aesthetic that fits almost anywhere.
It is a simple, modern design and an optional wall plate if you need to cover up any old paint or holes. The touchscreen interface is minimal but makes it easy to adjust the thermostat and switch between heat, air conditioning and other basic settings.
The Amazon Smart Thermostat is not suitable for Google Assistant or Apple HomeKit, and there is no distant temperature sensor incidental. You either need a C-Wire or you need to purchase and install a C-Wire adapter. Unlike the Nest and Ecobee models, there are no distant sensors for you to guide the temperature in other rooms.
It’s a solid product overall, but ultimately its amazing value is what sets it apart and makes it our current favorite.
- Brand: Amazon
- Model number: S6ED3R
- Integrations: Alexa
- Connectivity: 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
- Weight: 109.5 g
- Dimensions: 3.56 x 3.56 x 0.84″
- Color: White
- The Amazon Smart Thermostat is an easy way to switch from a traditional thermostat and help reduce energy use.
- After purchase, Amazon will send you an email with details about rebates that may be available from energy suppliers in your area.
- Explore rebates above. According to EPA estimates, Energy Star-certified thermostats save an average of $50 on annual energy bills.
- Alexa can do the programming for you, updating the temperature to keep you cosy.
- The Alexa app will guide you through the installation process, but purchaser service is always available.
- Honeywell home thermostats are built with technology and backed by 130 years of experience.
- Extremely affordable.
- Clean design.
- Amazingly effective.
- Includes faceplate.
- Automatic sync with Alexa Hunch.
- No remote sensor support.
- Works with Alexa only.
4. Honeywell Home T9
The Honeywell Home T9 is what we think is one of the best features of a smart thermostat. Remote sensors that can measure temperature and see if a person is present so the thermostat can better adjust your HVAC system to keep all rooms comfortable. You can buy it with a smart sensor for around $199, or without a sensor for around $169.
Honeywell’s T9 Smart Thermostat has a rectangular shape, giving it a more modern look than the Nest. We love its big, bright display that boldly shows the current temperature.
The Honeywell T9 works with both Alexa and Google Assistant and includes a geofencing feature, so the thermostat knows when you’re near the house and will adjust the temperature accordingly. This is the pinnacle of convenience and a feature we prioritized when searching for the best home thermostats.
- Brand: Honeywell Home
- Model Name: RCHT9610WFSW2003 T9
- Integrations: Alexa, Google, HomeKit, SmartThings
- Connectivity: 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
- Weight: 1.32 lbs
- Dimensions: 3.7 x 4.92 x 0.94 inches
- Material: Plastic
- Controller Type: Vera, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, SmartThings
- Color: White
- Adjust your energy star certified thermostat from anywhere with your mobile device or let your home automatically respond to your schedule with Auto Home/Away schedule. Save even more by checking with your energy supplier about energy savings rebates available to save your purchases.
- Choose the temperature of a specific room, such as a bedroom, to be exactly what you want it to be, to help you get a good night’s sleep. Or let smart room sensors automatically detect which rooms people are in and automatically focus comfort where it matters.
- Battery-powered smart room sensors use unique Honeywell Home technology to deliver an efficient signal up to a 200-foot range.
- Don’t be forced to choose from one room to another, the T9 Smart Thermostat can manage multiple rooms to focus on.
- Control the T9 using the Resideo app or via Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, and more.
- Heat pumps with forced air (gas, oil or electric), hot water and steam, and electric backup. Does not work with a heated baseboard warm (120-240V). C-wire is required.
- The included power adapter is an easy-to-install, low-voltage alternative to C-Wire, so the thermostat is compatible with most homes.
- Before purchasing, check if this thermostat is compatible with your home and determine if your home requires a C-Wire power adapter.
- Works with most heat/cool oil furnace systems. A heating-only oil furnace system will not work if the C-wire is not present.
- Responsive sensors.
- Easy to set up.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and HomeKit.
- Humidity sensor.
- Display weather forecast.
- 2 year warranty.
- Filter replacement reminder.
- Dual-band Wi-Fi.
- A bit inconvenient to install.
- Minor quirks limit some features.
5. Mysa Smart Thermostat
Every smart thermostat on our list works with low-voltage HVAC systems (12 to 24 volts). If you have a high-voltage system, such as an electrical baseboard, your smart thermostat options are limited.
The Mysa Smart Thermostat is one of the several high-voltage options we came across in the research. It uses geofencing to not manually adjust the temperature when you’re home or away. It has many features including remote temperature control, a smart schedule and daily and monthly usage reports.
It is compatible with Alexa, Google and Apple HomeKit for smart home integration and voice control. It’s not Energy Star certified, but it offers energy usage reports.
The Mysa Smart Thermostat allows simple but high-voltage HVAC users to get some of the benefits of the best smart thermostat technology. It’s a smart thermostat for heat only Mysa sells other options for cooling.
- Brand: Mysa
- Item Dimensions: 1.1 x 3.8 x 5.6 inches
- Weight: 510 Grams
- Material: Plastic
- Controller Type: Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, iOS, Google Home, Android
- Special Feature: Energy Insights, Geofencing, Scheduling
- Color: White
- Mysa app has features like scheduling, energy charting, geofencing or geolocation, zone control and vacation schedule. It also offers shared access.
- Mysa helps you save money to be used home energy more skillfully.
- No additional hardware is required.
- Vacation mode.
- Mysa is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit. Stay comfortable and connected.
- You can use the Mysa Thermostat to control the temperature of in-ceiling radiant heaters, self-contained hydronic baseboard heaters, electric baseboard heaters and electric fan-forced heaters.
- Mysa has an elegant, minimalist look and looks great with any type of room decor. The display has backlit LED numbers with up and down arrows showing the temperature of your room environment.
- Myser Premium subtly enhances the style of your home.
- Mysa installs simply in 15 minutes or less with step-by-step online guides and videos.
- Wi-Fi adapter built-in, no extra cost bridge required.
- Easy to use mobile app.
- Stylish industrial design.
- Easy installation and operation.
- Works with electric baseboard heaters.
- Each room needs a separate thermostat.
- Limited information on display.
7 Things to keep in mind when buying the best smart thermostat
While any thermostat can control your home’s central air conditioning and heating system, a smart thermostat lets you control your settings using your smartphone, smartwatch, smart speaker, computer, and in some cases, your TV’s voice-activated remote control.
There are several things to consider when buying a smart thermostat, and these are some of the main ones we think you should keep in mind:
Some designs blend in with the walls and surrounding decor, while others can’t miss a large display, and there are many designs that are boxy and lack elegance. Choose a design you like and accessible.
While all smart thermostats have a display, not all of them come with a touchscreen, and even fewer have a color one. Some models have mild or corporal buttons. If you primarily plan to control the thermostat from your smartphone or use voice commands, a large and colorful touch screen may not be necessary for you. Choose a screen size that works for your room and usage and gives you a display that visually shows the information you want at any time.
Pretend your home’s air conditioning and warmth system is suitable for a traditional thermostat, any of the best smart thermostats should work but check with the producer to ensure your HVAC situation isn’t out of the question. Also, some models require a C-Wire adapter for power, so again, check before buying. To maximize the “smart” capabilities of a smart thermostat, look for one that’s compatible with the equipment you already use.
- Online Capabilities:
A smart thermostat will connect to your home’s Wi-Fi and allow you to remotely control the device from anywhere in the world with your smartphone. You can issue voice commands to the thermostat using a smart speaker or the digital assistant built into your smart speaker, home hub, smartwatch or even your voice-controlled TV remote.
- Learning Capabilities:
Over time, the best smart thermostats will learn your daily routine, habits, and preferences and automatically adjust your home’s temperature, saving you money on your utility bills.
If you know what you’re doing and are comfortable using basic tools, you can install most of these smart thermostats in less than an hour, assuming you’re replacing an existing thermostat. However, many people find it easier to hire a licensed electrician to handle a smart thermostat installation and initial setup. Using the website (or mobile app) for Thumbtack or Angi Services can help you quickly find a local, reputable electrician.
- Heating zones:
Creating thermal zones enables you to have greater control over different parts of the home. This can either be done by using multiple thermostats – one up and one down, for example, or by investing in some smart thermostatic radiator valves that give you control over each room for potentially greater savings.
Our Top Pick
The Google Nest Learning Thermostat is our top pick. The Google Nest Learning Thermostat maintains your preferences so you can spend less time adjusting the temperature and get a smaller utility bill. You can simply tie the Nest to your home safety system or phone so it knows when you’re away and synthesizes the temperature consequently.
- Do smart thermostats still work without Wi-Fi?
Yes, smart thermostats work like traditional thermostats without Wi-Fi. You’ll be able to control the temperature from the panel, but all app-based functions will be unavailable until Wi-Fi is restored.
- Can I install a smart thermostat myself?
Yes, however, if you are not comfortable setting up new technology, it is better to spend money to have a professional and licensed electrician come to your home and handle the installation.
If your home is already equipped with a C-wire to control an existing thermostat, however, you should be able to handle the installation yourself in 30 to 60 minutes.
- Are Smart Thermostats Worth It?
Decades ago, programmable thermostats revolutionized our home’s energy use by allowing us to schedule our heating and cooling. Smart thermostats have ushered in a new era where our thermostats do all the work for us, giving us convenience and energy savings. The best news is the best smart thermostats don’t cost much, and the energy savings usually pay off your investment in a few years.
- Do smart thermostats save money?
Absolutely. Smart thermostats can help you save money by increasing your energy efficiency at home (while you stay perfectly comfortable, of course). Controlling your thermostat from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet and energy-saving app features like scheduling and geofencing help you stop paying to heat or cool an empty home. In fact, Mysa customers have reported an average savings of up to 26% on their home electricity bills. Smart thermostats can help you save more money by using less energy.
- Can I get a thermostat with a camera?
We couldn’t find any wall thermostats with built-in cameras. However, the top three thermostat brands on our list also sell security cameras that you can incorporate into automation with their respective thermostats. Yes, even the Ecobee has a camera.
For example, you can point a camera at the thermostat and ask it to record a 3-second clip to find out who is turning up the heat every time the temperature is manually adjusted.
Smart thermostats have rapidly become one of our favourite smart home devices. With the capability to track, monitor and synthesize temperature and other factors within your home, you have whole control at your fingertips. There are two big players when it comes to choosing the best smart thermostat for your smart home needs: Google Nest Learning and Ecobee Premium. They offer the most comprehensive feature set, robust and clean build, and reliable connectivity. Nest Learning is renowned for its new, energy-saving algorithms that track your usage patterns and adapt to lower your energy bill while predicting your preferred temperature.
The Ecobee Premium is a little more all-encompassing as a smart home device. It has a microphone inside to pick up voice orders, which you can send to Alexa or Siri if you don’t have another smart speaker close. Additionally, it is compatible with Apple HomeKit, though not Google Nest.
Therefore, we hope that our article helped you to know the best smart thermostat in the market. All the smart thermostats we listed above are currently the best-selling and top-rated smart thermostats in 2023. Make sure you choose only the listed thermostats to get the best product.
You Might Also Like